intercooler options (another one!)

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by falcodub, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Mook

Mook Forum Member

I think it often comes down to individual budgets. I run a Garrett i/c, which is in a similar price range as the Forge one - sure as sh*t not an ebay special...

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Why should I, when ebay ones seem to be fine at wiping heat from the lil Borg-Warner huffers, when at full chat to sensible charge temperatures. You can pay more for a brand name I/C, but you may find that there is no benefit to power and torque of the target engine.

3. bens_cab Forum Junkie

i run a ebay universal one without any issues on my 20vt its actually a nice snug fit between the rad and the front panel on a mk1 had this for 5 years and it cost be 50 in a ebay auction lol

4. Admin Guest

saw the sub11motorsport caddy at bugjam, runs 11 second qtrs and has a sprinter IC in there.

5. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

my charged mk1 had a ebay cooler in the front panel betwen the grill and rad, charge temps were ok, but it did make th rad work harder.

I think people need to think carefully about what they are trying to build and their budget... yes ebay plate ones may not be perfect but they do a job and some would argue their short comings are no worse than on something like the sprinter with it inlet and outlet at 90deg to the cooler flow.

it comes down to cost, and what you are trying to achive? every last BHP or just want a cooler thats easy to mount and will drop the charge temp a bit to stop a poston melting as you have been told you need to run one?

6. Peter Forum Member

Running approximately 300bhp could you run into issues (charge / coolant temp & response) having small bumpers? (MK2)

Would you gain much by fitting big bumpers and mounting the IC low?

pete

7. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

all depends how big your cooler is, position and if theres and sealed ducting or not etc.

also on big bumpers there more room for a cooler so something to keep in mind... it could be done on the small bumpers but personally I would have a lowish slung flat to the air inlet :thumbup: mines having 6 bigish (approx 2") circles drilled into the front spoiler to make max use of the cooler thans hidden behind it with out cocking up air flow under the car, should drop my intake temps by a few more deg all being well