Interior Bulbs

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by westysgolf, Jan 18, 2004.

1. westysgolf New Member

This should be a very easy question for all the knowledgeable experts out there ;) The single bulb that illuminates the heater controls on my mk 3 Golf only seems to highlight the central dial. The 2 outer dials seem to have very dim illumination and only on the inside edges of the dials [:s] I've tried cleaning the clear plastic strips on the control panel trim but to no avail.

Any ideas and is this common?

2. The Other Simon Forum Member

Yes it is common.

The single bulb in the centre is surrounded by a load of clear light guides, which use the light that comes out of the bulb sideways to light the outer two controls.

So if you adjust how much the bulb is pushed into its socket, you can adjust how much light falls on the outer dials.

The nest question is: since its a real faff to get the bulb holder out, do you care enough?

Simon.

3. westysgolf New Member

Thanx for that. I've now become an expert at stripping the light unit so that's not a problem. :lol:

Do I take it that by having the bulb as far forward as possible in the holder, the more light falls on the outer dials?

4. Chris Forum Member

You could always solder an LED in, that will defo brighten things up. And you could choose a colour of your choice and get rid of green shroud.

5. The Other Simon Forum Member

Nope, the most light on the outer dials happens when the filament aligns with the light guides. Being as every bulb is different - you just have to fiddle and see.

VW bulbs are a little better, because they actually specify where the filament is (unlike aftermarket ones...)

Simon.

6. westysgolf New Member

VW bulbs are a little better, because they actually specify where the filament is (unlike aftermarket ones...)

So is it just a matter of ordering a bulb from the thiev-a-ship? [:$]

7. The Other Simon Forum Member

Maybe.

The bulbs are a couple of quid from VW.

Simon.