IOS app for DTA

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by sharper, Nov 11, 2014.

1. sharper New Member

My ABF MK 2 Golf is just about to be fitted with throttle bodies. I really need to have a better idea of what's going on under the bonnet but fitting extra gauges and senders is a pain. Does anyone know if there is likely to be IOS app to keep an eye on the DTA management system?

2. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Not iOS, but I'm building an Android version. See my sig. :thumbup:

Apple don't support SPP Bluetooth profiles, so you can't connect via BT, which would mean the only possible way to connect would be USB. I don't know what Apple do to support that, I've never looked.

3. sharper New Member

Thanks, maybe an Android phone next then!

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Yep - perhaps the best bet is to buy an Android device especially for use in your car. You can pick up a pretty decent device cheaply these days. Perhaps a Nexus 7 if you fancy a tablet (you could pick up the first generation model second-hand very cheaply). Or if you want to change your current phone over to Android, the HTC M8 is a lovely device to consider.

Before I started MSDroid (which has now been forked also to DTADroid) I made the decision to go with Android because, at the time, you just could not write an app on iOS to communicate via SPP with generic Bluetooth to serial interfaces because of how garden walled iOS is (or was). With Android on the other hand you've always been free to write an application that may communicate with any off-the-shelf cheap Bluetooth to serial interface. So naturally Android was the route to go down. Things may have changed nowadays with iOS, but I don't keep up to date with it.

5. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Still no SPP support. :(