IPOD Control?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by antinkariba, Jan 8, 2011.

1. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I have just got a new stereo that has Ipod connectivity and the ability to control it etc, but I dont have an Ipod, I have a 16gb Sony Walkman. My question is, does the walkman work the same as the Ipod with the control and stuff?

The head unit has not arrived yet so I cant check and its bugging me now as I cant find anything on the net...

2. Rallye_Will Forum Member

Very unlikely, will just have an aux line in so you will have to control from the walkman.

3. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Thats what i currently use for my Ipod, as it tends to be hard to go through the playlists using the headunit :thumbup:

You can buy the Aux cable from ebay for cheap!!!

4. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

This is what I do now, what I'm trying to steer away from plugging it in the front of the head unit and going usb through the rear.

5. Funky Diver Forum Member

I hate cables hanging out the front of stereos... I got a cheapish (80) DVD unit from Halfords for the wifes car... and it has USB out the back!! WIN

I'll be spending a bit more dough on mine though, but I'm still surprised at how many head units - even for a lot of money - have the connectivity coming out the front!!

6. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

So do I. My new unit has both, from and back but I will be running my newly acquired Ipod from the back USB port and then controlling it through the head unit. Its mainly the hands free that I wanted!

7. Funky Diver Forum Member

What did you get in the end? I'm looking at a couple of Pioneer units (more for snobbery than anything, hahaha!!) But the one ?I like is rather swish looking and can also accept a boot mounted CD changer without any faffing about.

8. Lukey Forum Member

what head unit is it you have bought? theres tons of different ones and they will do it in varying stages of effectiveness.

for instance new alpine head units will totally control ipod with an ipod connector on the back of the head unit. from artist, album, playlists, genres, ratings, everything, all from the rotary on the head unit.

9. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I actually got a JVC head unit. its this one

[​IMG]

Link

I know its not the best pic, but what I have since done is run all the Ipod cables around the back, i made a small incision in the glove box and the cable runs into that now.

The headunit aslo has an external mix for the hands free via bluetooth. I really cant fault this unit at all. I like it and it sounds epic in the car!