iPod speaker solutions, ipod specific dock vs. normal "proper" speakers?

Discussion in 'Music' started by James_mk2, Nov 29, 2009.

1. James_mk2 Forum Member

I have an ancient and hefty cd player/hi fi taking up loads of room in my bedroom, this sort of thing:
    [​IMG]

However i've recently got a decent ipod and have chucked all my music onto that so i'm looking for a fairly decent dock/speaker unit to run directly from that, but i've only really seen the top quality bose ones (which are amazing but well out of budget) and the really tinny sh*te 20 ones that sound worse than headphones, so i'm looking for something in between, with a decent amount of bass.

Alternatively rather than an ipod specific dock could i buy a speaker system much like you can for PC's etc. that will take an ipod/3.5mm input?
    Something like this for example?

[​IMG]

which can be had for about 70

Budget is around 100, don't mind second hand. I'm not a proper audiophile so i'm not after aural perfection, just a level of quality that won't make me want to cut my ears off :thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

3. TurbTech Forum Junkie

I was gonna post something like this as well. What about active moniter speakers, the type they use in studios? Like this CLICK

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I have heard a set of those in west end dj store, were 'ok' sound quality not as good as the bose I posted for sure. Is certainly a good option though, hadn't thought of active speakers. You can just plug in with a headphone to audio lead

5. James_mk2 Forum Member

What would i need to run a set of "computer" speakers without a computer?
    I'm after something i can plug into the wall, connect up an ipod via a headphone jack or RCA and it'll play. I have some active speakers i got with my decks, hadn't thought of using them!

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

the one's i linked too james, the sub is the amp. It has a audio connection in the back of the amp (for computors) and then a headhphone jack in the little remote control thing