Is the ABF throttle body interchangeable with a 20vt throttlebody?

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by mickey marrows, Nov 23, 2016.

1. mickey marrows Forum Member

I'm currently running an ABF throttle body but would like to swap to a throttle body with built in idle control (like an early 20vt) but I'm not sure if they're mechanically the same i.e butterfly diameter and bolt spacing..

Anyone know off the top of thier head?

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Pre EOBD 20vT throttle module (DBC), made by VDO, with the idle speed and idle air adaption motor is around 54mm diameter. The ABF is 65mm

mickey marrows likes this.
  3. mickey marrows Forum Member

OK, thanks... I suppose the next question is whether there is a 65mm throttle body with built in idle control? :)

4. mickey marrows Forum Member

I'm assuming VR6 then..

Although as far as I can tell the OBD1 VR6 has a 65mm butterfly, but doesn't have stepper idle.. the OBD2 does have stepper idle but is a 70mm butterfly, although without buying some off ebay I cannot be sure..

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I do not refer to EU engines as OBD 1 or 2.

The early cars here in the EU, had a raw mechanical throttle body by Pierburg. The throttle was 65mm as you said with a TPS sensor ala the ABF under Digfant 3.2 control.

Post August 95, when the other lines were adopting M3.8 controls, the ECU could adapt for air errors at low load and had VDO throttles fitted. For post 95 to 98 VR engines, AES, AAA, ABV, they were 70mm.

Foot print is larger than a 1.8T throttle of the same brand I would have thought. I am not sure what was the size of the throttle fitted to the AGZ 5 cylinder as that also carries a similar VDO throttle, controlled by a M3.8 ECU also.