Is the Credit Crunch for real?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Crispy 8V, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Admin Guest

another dump of "cash" some 75 billion is being injected into the economy, which i'm led to understand is more money to the banks. whats that supposed to do? why not give it to me?

why not lower the stuff that cost fck loads at the moment, ie fuel and helping folk in getting rid of debt, seeing as that is what the government want us to do.

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

wonder if some of thats going to get injected into my account?? I think not

lower fuel prices should be a first!

3. Admin Guest

This is not work safe, , the langauge is little strong in places.

[YOUTUBE]VL2313MRn1E[/YOUTUBE]

4. danster Forum Addict

^^^ :lol:

Very simple points, but very true. Western society has been living way beyond it's means for too long.

It's good to see how this thread can run alongside the apple one. One showing folk how desperate times are, and the other showing the supposed need to use expensive gadgets to exist......

5. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I think I've made my ignorance of the economy obvious on many occasions and I'm very aware that what I'm about to say will firstly make this more evident and secondly make me sound like a communist wannabe (which I'm not)

It seems to me that a few people have too much control of too much money and need to pass it on a bit more often.

Big businesses (banks, oil companies, sotware companies it doesn't matter) are still raking in billions of pounds/dollars/euros in profits year on year but can only carry on doing so as long as their customers (us) have money to spend on thier products/services.

As I've said in other threads, money(whether real or not) hasn't just vanished, somebody is sitting on it, I refuse to believe that when stock/financial markets crash it happens by accident. Surely a huge number of shareholders don't all decide to sell at the same time, somebody engineers it, nor do banks suddenly decide to call in debts at the same time.

I don't pretend to know what the answer is but I suspect that we're being had over and that IF those controlling the financial markets wanted to they could end this "recession" tomorrow

6. Admin Guest

Er what are Greece up to? offered a solution now they want to think about it?

7. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Their PM / Pres is trying to save his own skin at worst or avoiding a total breakdown of social order at best.

Every loan they take from the EU comes with harsher targets on cost cutting and the like, and he people are in the streets as it is. Plus on a personal level Germany and France are rattling sabres and giving Greece an increasingly hard time, no one wants a leader who gets ***** slapped in europe.

They can ether take the next lot of EU money and being on the brink of bankruptcy for a decade, or, pull out of the EU, default on their loans and run the country on it's income.

Germany and France are saying, take the loan and make the changes or we'll boot you out of the EU, Greece are saying - feel free, but you wont be getting your money back.

8. Andy947 Forum Addict

The stupid greek public need to realis ethey cannot go on the way they are, stop protesting, and just accept they've had it to easy too long.

Its going to happen and if they ditch the EU they will have it WAY worse than if they stayed.

9. PeeJay Forum Junkie

They could start paying some tax too, they're widley regarded as the most tax dodging in europe.

10. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Quite right, how dare they protest at having their pay cut, paying more tax on whats left and having to pay more for stupid luxuries like food.

Whats the matter with people?

I'd be only too happy if I lost my house and couldn't afford to feed my kids.

11. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm striking on 30th November

12. Admin Guest

they've only themselves to blame, but then Gaz, thats ok isn't it.:thumbup:

13. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

How are the people to blame for their govt mismanaging their economy?

Does that mean it's my fault that my employer has to save 28 million next year and that the Govt says I have to pay higher pension contributions AND work longer and still get less when I retire?

14. Admin Guest

well what are you going to do about it before its to late?
    TBH if th government didn't give 25million a day to the EU, you'd be ok:thumbup:

Greece, its already to late.

15. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I know what I'd like to do about.

That is to apply common sense to govt/council spending but as that will never happen I'm going to do what those nasty Greek people are doing, I'm going to strike on the 30th.

16. mark25 Forum Junkie

It's not that simple, default will mean they can't do business with anybody in the future, they will be financially doomed. Unfortunatly, i don't think think 99% of Greeks realise what negative consequences that will have for future generations. If I were arranging that referendum, I'd make it not annonymous, so they get the idea that they will be/can be held responsible for the choice they now make in the future, not sure that would help, but i'd do it anyway. That way I'd of done my best in sealing the country's fate....

There are a lot of poor people in Greece, but there are also an awful lot getting rich by pretending to work, sound familure...? Greece is just the worst af a bad bunch IMO. In a global market who's to say how many western countries will tumble before equilibrium is reached with the rest of the world.

17. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Yes, cuts will mean pay cut (well if you work in the public sector anyway) more tax on stuff, boo hoo. welcome to the western world post-2008, everyone in the private sector has been here about 3 years.

NOT making cuts will mean, the whole bloody shooting match goes down and no body in the public sector has a job, most people in the private sector don't have jobs, no body can really buy food (not just have a bit less left over for nice things) and everyone loses thier homes.

18. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Depends how you look at it, did the goverment mismanage by employing too many public servants and giving them better terms and conditions than the private sector. Leading to a situation whereby it couldn't be maintained during anything but a booming economy.

Or. Is it the fault of the collective people of the UK because as a people we spent too much money we didn't have, based on misguided security of wealth through as greatly over inflated housing market leading to a snap recession, more people taking money out of the pot because they haven't got a job instead of paying money into the pot.

19. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Yes that makes perfect sense.

Give people less money & make them pay more for essentials.

Got that:thumbup:

So when those of us who are currently earning 10-20% more than we are paying out have to take a pay cut, pay more for heating, food and pensions suddenly realise that we are suddenly earning less that we are paying out, what happens next?

20. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Yes they did.

But this govt are now taking that policy out on the wrong public servants.

Rather than getting rid of the superfluous depts such as "business development dept" and "diversity team" who contribute nothing whatsoever to the public services they are getting rid of the people who actually those provide services