Its a myth

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by b'locks, Nov 2, 2003.

1. b'locks Forum Addict

went to the seat enthusiasts club rolling road day today and there were 3 of us with vr6 highlines. was a good day (although i had to leave early as i've got to be somewhere soon...)

now, i don't know where it came from, but the general consesus on these (and other vw forums) seems to be that highlines put out 184bhp as standard as apposed to 174bhp, despite the fact that vw still quoted highlines as 174bhp. well, today each of the highlines put out power in the region of high 170's and very low 180's...and so did 2 other 'normal' vr6's. none of them were standard, all had aftermarket exhausts and 2 of them had induction kits. mine got dead on 180.2, so i'm not complaining as that was pretty much the same as what all the other vr6's were putting out.

so basically,i think this proves that the idea that highlines put out more power is complete bollox.
    Edited by: b'locks

2. Jeff Forum Junkie

were the other non highline vr6s later models with coilpacks?

its not the highlines as such, but VW stopped using a distributor around that time and thats what makes the engine more powerful. So any VR6 produced after a certain date would be more powerful than any vr6 produced before that date. Doesnt really matter what car they are in...

3. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Thats what I thought too. I thought the later cars (when they went to OBDII) were slightly more powerful. Nothing to do with highline spec.

But cool, for clearing it up for peeps that were unsure.
    Edited by: harry_the_cake

4. b'locks Forum Addict

i think that the other vr6's were actually older than all 3 of the highlines but i'm not sure if they were pre OBDII or not...

5. AndrewF Forum Addict

don't think you correct about the dizzy...my '93 OBD1 vr6 has coilpack's. i think only '92 vr's had dizzy's.

6. daveybwoy Forum Member

Six appeals highline put out 186 at my rolling road a while ago all that had was a ramair induction kit which I don't did anything for the performance. after a supersprint zorst it was 191.

Sometimes exhuast and/or induction kits can lose you power.
    Edited by: daveybwoy