J&R Driveshaft - gasket no recess

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by MJA, Jun 26, 2022.

1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

Bought a 2x sets of J&R driveshafts for the mk3 16v and the corrado, same parts. Both cars had original shafts and had a gasket as pictured that sat in a recesss on the inner CV part of the shaft that bolts to the gearbox.

The J&R shafts did not have this recess so no where to mount the gasket. Anyone experienced this? I have mounted without as it was impossible to place the gasket without a recess in the shaft to hold it.

I've fired off an email to J&R but won't hear back until next week, will drop in the reply when i have it.

Attached Files:

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

IIRC I didn’t use gaskets. It has come up on the forum before and lots don’t use gaskets.

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

I can't remember if mine had it or not, but I fitted new vw gaskets with a smear of grease and a couple of bolts passed through the holes to align and hold, gaskets were 6 quid each from vw.

Sure when I asked about the gaskets previously as not listed on all applications the standard sealant was mentioned in its place, which is what was on the last shaft I got from a mk4 in the breakers yard.

PhilRyder likes this.
  4. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

If you run a search “driveshaft gaskets” lots comes up.

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

A sneer of Three Bond would be more than good enough to seal that.

6. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, took a look at the search and concluded it is probaby fine as it is. 3 bond would be a good shout if it leaks and I can certainly make that repair to the mk3 as that one is only loosely put together whilst other work happens.

KeithMac likes this.
  7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah they should have them, but many have lost at some point over the years. I've certainly never seen any on all the cars I've worked on. All it will do is help stop gearbox oil leaking out if the inner flange seals go, the CV grease wont get past (or at least, only a very tiny amount) so fit or dont its up to you

MJA likes this.
  8. Adamss24 Forum Member

I have done just as the other member that replied above, smear of grease on gasket and careful threading of a few bolts trough to hold the gasket in place…works fine so far.

9. watercooled Forum Member

I agree,have seen them but never replaced them and never had an issue except for one mk2 I had the output flange was damaged on the face due to being loose as I found it,the CV wouldn't sit in properly as the flange was pretty knocked around.
    I didn't worry about it as I was swapping to 100mm flanges and axles anyway, a more important issue to me is torque on the bolts which on many VW's I've worked on they aren't done up tight enough,my corrado for example had all the bolts barely finger tight on the LH side,service history indicated the boot was changed before I bought the car !!!.