JBL and Infinity v’s Alpine and others

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Craigster, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Craigster Forum Member

After a mono amp and a 12" sub and enclosure.

I've managed to find a package - Apline MRD-M300 amp, Alpine type R 12" sub and Alpine enclosure (SBR-1241SB) with amp remote control and power wiring kit all for 295 from Mobile World (www.onestopcaraudio.co.uk) - Uplands in Bristol wanted over 550 for this lot.

Nice deal I thought, but, truth is, still a little outta my budget. There's also a rough equivalent JL Audio deal at this price, stretchable but wont make me popular!

What's the thoughts on JBL and Infinity equipent, could get similar kinda power set up for 150-180 - what differences might I notice?

Any advice on deciding cos most of the shops I've been in dont have it set up to listen too, and they wouldn't be where I buy it anyway as the mail order places are LOADS cheaper....

2. D-Dub Forum Member

IMO JL Audio are very good subs and so are the alpines, they take one hell of a beating. The alpine deal sounds good for the money

3. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Personally I prefer Infinity's but haven't tried there subs so only basing that on components.

4. DaySpring Forum Member

I had an Alpine sub for around a week before I binned it! complete rubbish!!

Go for JL you can't go wrong!

5. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

JL all the way :)

6. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

yeh all good stuff really, the alpine sounds like a good deal to me,

but i would favour JL out of them, then alpine,

tim

7. MarkGolf Forum Member

Used to have JL's, then I tried my friends Infinity's!

I now have infinitys

8. andy c New Member

For that sort of budget get on ebay, or talkaudio.co.uk and get something of a high quality - JL, Diamond, RE, Soundstream, Phoenix Gold 2nd hand...

You'll get much better equipment.

Alpine make excellent head units, but aren't as well respected for amps and subs...

9. mbh69 Forum Member

jl are the daddy but that alpine setup is good too but with jl the budget stuff is good quality but there is better for the money top end of jl rule

10. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

i have 2 x RE SE's they are cool,

well recommended!

tim

11. Craigster Forum Member

anyone know where I can actually listen to Alpine v's JL side by side?

I've been all round Bristol this weekend with no joy, I live in Berks so could jaunt into London next weekend I guess...

12. Craigster Forum Member

JL amp would be the e1200 but the Alpine would be the MRDM300 (V12 Accu-class D)

The Alpine has higher rated RMS power, and is digital, ie full class D amplifier. Surely better on paper, but same old isn't it - I'm an experienced HiFi buyer, so know what process to apply and what sound I like but there simply doesn't seem to be chance to actually listen to these feckers - have to go on spec sheets and hear say.

Similar story with the subs - Alpine dual voice cone with triple stack magnets etc etc etc

13. Prax_88CAB Forum Member

Have you heard the V12 alpine range?? I think you will change your mind mate ;)

The subs and speakers are cack in my opinion, but the V12 amps and headunits are crisp...never looked back since. [:D] [:D]

14. Madbloke Forum Member

Hmm --- A tough one [8(]

You could utilise the sub by running it parallel at 2 ohm as the info on amp shows power ratings at 2ohm (although Alpine also show a 12R with a diff part number with dual 2ohm coils which could then be run at 1ohm - ouch)--- dont know the amp could handle this

the box is 27 litres which to me seems quiet small - less than a cubic ft for a 12" sub?

Which JL sub was it ---- I run JL's and absolutley love em! ---- Cant really compare the infinity agaist this gear IMO

15. Craigster Forum Member

Ah - now this is getting interesting!

The JL one that comes in at 120 (realistic buy ) is the JL 12W0-4, which is bottom of their range in 12".

This is 125W RMS - which then means the Alpine amp would be over kill (300w rms).

Its a single voice coil v's the Alpine's Dual voice coil (probably explains the power rating difference) - Alpine leaves you a choice of ways to drive it as well given the dual voice coil.

I'd have to spend a further 60 to get the same technology in the JL 12" (the JL 12W3v2-D2/4/6 Ohm).

Anyone heard the 12W0-4 v's the dual voice coil one? Spose I could go for a Dual voice coil 10" instead - 160.

Hear what your saying about the Alpine enclosure - but its VERY sexy - has a nice clear window on the back to show of the cage etc and also has a rather nifty disc you can swap out (bolted) with a supplied port - so you could try both ported and not ported - even change your mind at a later date.

On that subject - what's Band Pass? - does that mean that one side of the sub goes into a sealed enclosure and the other side into a ported enclosure (as opposed to only one side being in any kind of enclosure)? - What effects can you expect with bandpass?

I know the bottom line is to listen to the feckers but I'm trying to a) get a short list in the budget and b) find somewhere where I will actually be ABLE to compare the ones on my shortlist!!

Which JL subs is it you run Madbloke??

16. Madbloke Forum Member

Hmmm -- So from what you say the box has a section you can presumably unscrew and place in either a solid piece or a ported piece ----

nice idea but most subs can be run ported or sealed (I prefer sealed myself) but normally the box requirements will be different -- lets say around 0.5 cu feet (15 litres ish) more to run sealed which would in my opinion mean the box would need to be around 42 litres [:s]

If you run it ported in the wrond sized enclosure it will ruin the sound and again knacker the sub.

Bandpass is as you have explained 1 side of the sub fires into a sealed enclosure, the other side fires into a chamber that is ported out--- these sorts of boxes are specific designed around a particular sub so each box is different in size etc --- tricky stuff but length and position of port allows you to tune the bass.

I run 2 JL 15W6

17. Madbloke Forum Member

Looking into this a bit more JL 12 W0 as an example this needs to see between 1.0 and 1.75 cuft sealed and between 1.75 and 2.75 ported --- When running sealed, the bigger the box (within their operating range), the softer the punch so using their figures to get a decent punch out of it it youd need to run it at about 1.2cuft max - Sealed I would probably take a middle figure and run at around 2.25cu ft --- it doseent seam a lot but makes or breaks the system

18. Craigster Forum Member

2 JL 15W6? - WAY HEY HAY outta my budget!!

Been offered these 2nd hand:
    > Sub - Diamond Motosport 5 (M5) - 10" 400W RMS power handling - boxed.
    > Amp - Alpine MRV-1000 - 1000W x1 (max) - 400W x1 RMS or 100W x2 RMS.

Any idea what their worth?

19. Craigster Forum Member

sorry - so sealed (which I think is what I am more likely to prefer) you would use 1.2cu ft or 2.25cu ft??

I guess 1.2 yeah?

JL make this easy by quoting the enclosure ranges - but cant find this infor for the Alpine's - same 1.2 rule applies?

What about for a 10" Diamond MotorSport 5 then?!

20. Madbloke Forum Member

Their only worth what you prepeared to pay --- the sub will run in a mega small box but then again it is a 10 so not as hard hitting as a 12" --- Out of these Id go the alpine route