Jetta 1.6 project - opinions needed!

Discussion in 'Jetta/Vento/Bora' started by SOLIDUS, Jan 2, 2008.

1. SOLIDUS Forum Member

Hi all,
    just got myself an 89 spec mk2 jetta tx + have big plans for it + just wanted some ideas as regards engine/styling

Right, so here goes:

Had a 16v 2.0 litre conversion in mind + have heard that one from an mk3 golf should drop straight in on the same brackets but was also thinking an r32 engine from an mk4????

Planning on a set of ats cups + cant decide on g60 arches all round or to just stick with the original gti arches - thought the huge g60's might swamp the tiny ats rims????

Any ideas appreciated

2. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

All really depends how much talent/money/time you have...

3. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

you will need to make the car very very low to get the ats's to look any good with G60 arches,

i would favour a 15" or 16" i preferr 15" coz you can run a 50 which is more comfortable than the 45 you get on a 16" what ever wheels you go for get your arches rolled then you can do as you like without scrubbin

change ALL bushes

you can put a 2.0 16v ABF or 9A straight in but its how you fuel it thats the problem your best option would be carbs coz if you go for injection you will need to dick about with fuel pumps ecu's etc etc

R32 engine inna jetta will cost a mint (heavy doe!) but does sound lovely

basically how much do you want it

i would cost them up and double it (coz thats what it will REALLY cost) and see

4. The db

The db Forum Junkie

If you go down the R32 route you will need R32 spec brakes and therefore big wheels to put them behind.

Some good results running abf lumps on k-jet injection - which also means super cheap tune ups! Carbs are a good idea, but if its to be used in the winter on cold days could be a bugger.

Realistically you could do the 16v conversion and changes fairly cheaply if you are an able spanner monkey.

5. Steve B Forum Junkie

someone on the jetta owners clb is putting an r32 in a jetta at the mo, looks like an awesome project, however if youve never done anything like that before id go for a 2.0 to start with