Jumpy and Bouncy MK3GTI8V

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by DanMK3GTi8V, Jan 28, 2010.

1. DanMK3GTi8V New Member

Hi,

Not sure if this is a common problem, but my Mk3 is generally quite bouncy when driving, more so than my previous Mk3 Driver, and when I get up to about 70mph it feels as though the car is 'jumping back'?, this sometimes happens at slower speeds also.

Cheers
    Dan

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

What do you mean by `jumping back`??

Bouncy ride is normally down to defective shocks.

3. DanMK3GTi8V New Member

As though the car is fighting back. It vibrates through the car (passenger have noticed), similar to how the car behaves once at top speed. I can only really describe it as jumpy.

4. StuMc

Are you talking about the ride quality then?

Or is it more like the engine is moving; ie does it happen when you put your foot down, and again when you back off?

5. DanMK3GTi8V New Member

Yea I think it's an engine thing. When I put my foot down on the motorway to accelerate it seems to happen at about 65mph, and at slower speeds when I back off. A sort of judder that vibrates through the car. Once I pass 70mph it seems to disappear.

6. StuMc

If it`s a `clunk` on acceleration/backing off then it`s most likely the front engine mount needs replacing.

If it`s more like a constant vibration (through steering column?) then your wheels need balancing.

7. DanMK3GTi8V New Member

Thanks a lot mate. It makes sense for it to be the wheels because of how it generally drives anyway, but I will have a look at the mount as well. Thanks for your help.

8. Reidy10 New Member

hi.... strange you should mention 'jumpy' as my mk3 seems to get very twitchy at 70mph and above ??? it seems to jump everso slightly to one side or another if it hits a slight bump ? does any one know what could cause this ?