Just thought I would mention...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Robbie, May 21, 2007.

1. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Mines going to be off the road in 9 days for a while..

Silly DVLA lost the bloody new ownership forms. Got to wait for some more to come then apparently it'll take upto 6 weeks to process . Tax is up the end of this month [:^(]

2. Robbie

Robbie Forum Member

..thats gonna be 9 lloonngg days Pete..

3. Obvious Forum Member

:lol: :lol:

And sorry to hear about the DVLA balls up Pete, hopefully you'll have her back on the road soon enough once the sort it all out.

4. richellis Forum Member

whos gonna be the first to start the "Ive got a mk3 thats cutting out" thread cus youve tried your luck here

5. Obvious Forum Member

:lol: I best not jinx myself anymore had I.

6. vw.golf.girl Forum Member

Yeah must confess my Mk3 GTI doesnt cut out, however when idle the speedo seems to flutter lol but never conked out lol

7. FoxyRod New Member

Cutting out Problem

I had a cutting out problem for 18 months. Ever since I bought the car in Feb 2006. Did it once a month or so when i first bought it.

Replaced coil, leads, distributor cap, plugs, air mass flow meter, cleaned throttle body, replaced ECU and fuel relays and problem went away for about 6 months. Went up to the midlands a couple of weeks ago (live on south coast) and it cut out (once) on the A34 on the way back. Started OK and got back home safely. Was messing around fixing a stupid oil leak from the plastic breather hose at the front of the engine and noticed a very badly worn lead (about 6mm dia) touching one of the hot water hoses running to the oil cooler. When I looked it it closely wires were bare. Turned out to be the engine speed sensor/knock sensor lead. After removing loads of bits to access and replace the extremely expensive sensor, also noticed the lead insulation and 'potting joint' at the sensor end had disintegrated also leaving bare wires. Fixed now. Would definitely suspect engine speed sensor if anyone else is struggling with cut out problems.

long that wasn't it. Still might help someone out there.