K04-023 Turbo advice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Marky4787, Jun 4, 2022.

1. Marky4787

Marky4787 Paid Member Paid Member

Good afternoon

I believe the turbo bearings are on the way out as whenever I floor it and it gets a little boost it sounds like a supercharger and not in a good way, sounds more like a high pitched grinding! I’ve had boost leaks before and it wasn’t that kinda sound.

anyway I’ve removed the turbo and the casing has some large cracks on the exhaust side and there is a very slight play on the shaft.

My question is has anyone brought a new K04-023 I keep seeing the eBay ones for £150-£180 they come with 2 year warranty but obviously that means nothing if it blows and destroys the engine, so just after some advice as I don’t really want to pay over £500 when I plan on swapping the engine for a 3.2 I’m currently collecting parts for.

many help would be appreciated

2. Marky4787

Marky4787 Paid Member Paid Member

3. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Buy a cheap second hand K04 off one of the 20v turbo pages and run that for a bit.

Marky4787 likes this.
  4. Adamss24 Forum Member

I would buy new, every single one I took of had cracks in and around the wastegate/turbine wheel…I wouldn’t buy recon either, most recons use poor casts made in China which are no good either.

Marky4787 likes this.