K04/225/210 turbo charge pipe

Discussion in 'Trackslag.com' started by Trackslag, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Trackslag

Trackslag Forum Member Trader

We've been weighing this one up for a while. It all started off when we wanted to replace the red OEM elbow which is infamous for melting, as it's about an inch or two away from the exhaust manifold. It's not the best flowing part either.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    We wanted to make it out of stainless but we came up against problems almost immediately. We could make the part in metal form but finding a reliable solution to getting it to seal was another thing. Because of the angle of the OEM charge pipe and the confined space everything had to happen in, there wasn't enough space for a straight bit to get a joiner/sleeve on without it sitting on the bend.
    After a bit more head scratching, the replacement elbow plan was scrapped.
    We then decided that the whole OEM charge pipe had flaws from the turbo all the way to where it terminates at the front corner of the engine. We've already mentioned the elbow which leads to the baffled bit (silenced, not confused..) which leads to the 60mm charge pipe itself. The charge pipe then has to make a tight turn at the back corner of the engine before following the cam belt cover down the side of the engine, then there's a bit of a dent in it to help clear the cam belt cover.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

With all of the above in mind we went on to produce a charge pipe that would couple to the turbo using a short 55mm sleeve which could be classed as serviceable, rather than having to replace the whole elbow when it perished. Because we were making the whole pipe in one piece we didn't have the step where the OEM elbow joins the baffled bit, which smoothed out the flow considerably. Next thing to be addressed was the bend at the back corner of the engine. We smoothed the bend out making it less of a right angle then adjusted the direction of the pipe to remove the need for the dent to clear the cover. Last but not least, the whole thing (apart from the bit that joins to the turbo) is now 2.5" :)
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

We've still got a bit to do. Because the pipe is bigger than the OEM part we're having to make larger securing straps but they should be done over the weekend.
    Once the straps are done and we've done a few more test fittings, we'll be able to put a price on it :thumbup:

2. Trackslag

These are the new securing straps. Because our charge pipe is 2.5", the OEM straps are too small so we've had to make these.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

3. Trackslag

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Brushed satin or mirror polished? With or without diverter valve? One for the Xmas list or can't you wait that long?
    Decisions, decisions....lol

peterg60 likes this.
  4. mk2bal Forum Member

Very nice product again guys! I'm getting a mate to make the opposite side equivalent in 2.5" for my K03s mk2. Keep up the good work!!

5. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

As said above, a very nice piece of kit :thumbup:

I'm also after one for my k03s on the opposite side. ;)

6. Trackslag

Thanks Baz and Richard :)
    We've been looking at hard charge pipe options for the k03 fitment recently. Biggest problem we come up against with the mk2 is differing engine positions due to the vast flavours of mounts and brackets and of course differing coolers.
    It's looking like we'll have to include the cooler in the kit to iron out some of the variance. Too late for you guys, as I know that you've got your coolers sorted.
    We've got an engine going in soon so we're going to have a play with that.
    Not long until you get yours mapped Baz? Bet you can't wait?

7. mk2bal Forum Member

Had to cancel yet again man. Been working 6/7 days most weeks for ages, and my other commitments are just snow balling up! The car sits on the drive unused right now, the boost pipe being least priority unfortunately!! I fitted the sfs oversize tip, so it's ready to measure up and fit the 2.5" pipe around it, but that's as far as I've got.. The car ruins everything already I can't wait until r tech work their magic. Get some lovely bangs from the exhaust too, once she's hot, had a proper blast to ~130 then slowing back down for the last mile or two into work, when accelerating and letting off between speed bumps it pops after it dumps, tsssh bang! As well as some right upto temp motorway blasts, where it'll pop a lovely one out from time to time. Hope r tech don't lose that feature or tell me I got a slight boost leak and cure it

8. Trackslag

Nightmare mate! However, cash in the pocket is always nice. People are saying how quick their MK4's are with the K03s so only one thing can happen when you remove a 1/4 of a ton from the equation, lol
    Sounds like you've you got more power to come from it, so you'll have to invest all the extra cash that earning into a diff :)

Anyway, here's a picture of the full charge pipe kit, the first of which was distributed today!

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

What you see is what you get for 135.00

9. Trackslag

Tidy!

[IMG
    ][​IMG][/IMG]

10. bucket6 New Member

Silly question time, does the engine cover still fit with this added? Nice to keep it looking OE.

Thanks

11. Trackslag

Not a silly question at all mate. Yes the cover does still fit, however the rear bracket which it rests on has to be trimmed to accomodate the longer smoother bend, as shown in the picture below.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

12. tech1889 Dan Forum Member

Do you still make these mate ? Also you should make a full kit for mk4 including the wellycooler and a good fitted set of pipes as no one does this for a k04 in a mk4 with the charge pipe on the left as it's a s3/TT thing.. Could use mine as a base if you like ;)

13. Trackslag

Hi Dan, yes, the charge pipes are in stock at the moment. We've got replacement and the single spur version ready to go. We picked this particular piece of pipework initially because it sits in brackets which are fixed position. If, and it's a big if, lol, everyone was happy fitting a particular cooler, we would have a look at it again in the future :-)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. tech1889 Dan Forum Member

Thankyou for your reply I am awaiting some bits will contact you soon for an order ;)

15. Trackslag

So!! We've been busy with this too!

We reworked this at the beginning of the year and it's now better than ever!

Bigger, better, newer machinery has mean't that we've got rid of the weld, making this a single length of pipe, rather than a few bits welded together and we've moved the diverter valve and boost control spurs nearer to where they need to be.
    The eagle eyed among you will notice some other neat changes too.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Jommanjo and Toyotec like this.
  16. odub Forum Member

Hi, I see these are out of stock on your website. Can you tell me when they will be good to go again and would you do a forum discount?
    Thanks

17. Trackslag

Good morning :-)

They're current selling before they hit the shelves at the moment (pre-orders) but we're hoping to get back on top nearer the weekend.
    We already operate in a niche market, so if we were to do discounts, we'd have to put the prices up on the website just to offer them.
    I'm sure that this makes sense to everyone ????

18. odub Forum Member

That's fine, they are a good price anyway. Just trying my luck.

Could you put me down for one in brushed finish with the single spur for DV cold side relocation?

thanks
    Oli

19. Trackslag

Will do :thumbup:

20. odub Forum Member

lovely job. If you let me know when it is ready i'll send you the money immediately
    cheers