k04 conversion from a k03 engine

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by turbotommy, Dec 17, 2007.

1. e12_mat Forum Member

To be fair a true 240bhp from a k03s unless serious mods have been undertaken is a bit unrealistic.

On the same rollers i acheived an increase of 18whp between k03 and k03s, this is with large downpipe exhuast fmic.

2. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

35 degrees is lot better than 47! :clap:

The laguna FMIC is a glorified radiator core, its a tad crude, but cheap and fairly effective - granted..

The forge is a better quality item, FMIC's are a tad more complicated than 'surface area' though, the core on the Forge is tube and fin, which is good the money.. Unless you have 1000+ to spend on a proper bar and plate core..

Has anyone conducted any readings from doing for example a track day with a few hot laps to see what the intake temps would be on any KOx turbo?? Would be interesting to see what the figres are.. How high/consistant they were..

3. HidRo Forum Member

I took a look on Autodata, and indeed, the 1.8T 209 and 225hp are 3bar FPR.
    And RoxyLife you should have a APY, and not a AYP engine code.

4. bertelli_1 Forum Member

My 1.8t intake temperature is generally between 10-15 degrees higher than ambient. Its fair to say my ic setup is working pretty well. I have seen some conversions which have reached 70 degC in the manifold!!

5. Admin Guest

I know a couple of people who are seeing 240-255Bhp on a variety of rollers with a K03s.

I'm one of them.

I run a 3 Bar FPR, the 4 bar was just overfuelling.

As for FMIC's, take a look at this VW Vortex thread, I posted some graphs showing after continued hard running, intake temps of under 30 degrees, and with a 300 FMIC!! (imported to UK price)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3172487

6. turbotommy Forum Member

Swap was started then halted.
    [​IMG]

I understand the k03s/k04 debate but i'm more interested in the torque/rev range & plumbing side than peak power figures etc.. (Bigger turbo might follow at a later date but i'd rather get an LSD before that TBH)
    as you can see,one of the problems a k03 has with the std turbo to I/C pipe is on the same side as the TB intake

[​IMG]

Far from ideal for a FMI, original chargecooler idea has heat-soak/weight issues and requires battery in the boot (will leave that for a later date)

This should make things easier

[​IMG]

New TIP

[​IMG]

Slightly different to the k03 item as you can see

[​IMG]

These should allow fitting

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of this...

[​IMG]

Along with these

[​IMG]

Anyone know what these flow @ 3 bar???

[​IMG]

(from a 225 bhp from an APX TT)

So this little lot should keep me busy enough over crimbo,although i might scrap the down pipe and go with the qpeng version.

7. steved Forum Member

8. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Apologies, fast typing error.. APY yes!

There sems to be a good amount of people with a mix of results with the Kox turbos, as regards to inlet temps..