ko3s turbo better than k03

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by newimage1, Jul 3, 2007.

1. newimage1 New Member

recently brought a k03s turbo and was going replace it with my k03 will this increase bhp or make no difference .has i was told the k03 turbo is of a 150bhp and the k03s is of a 180 is this correct.

2. badboi1 Forum Member

Hey there the aum (150bhp) motor and the auq (180bhp) motor share the K03S turbo as far as I remember. So it could be of either.

3. badboi1 Forum Member

Here you go I found this for you these are the main differances between k03 and ko3s

enjoy!

8 blades opposed to 12 on tip,
    Tip is 2ml bigger than K04
    Compressor housing is 39.5ml opposed to 37ml
    K03s Turbos have 0052/0053 in the serial number and they usually are 704D/704S/704T
    Larger main vein and larger continuation

4. JayRyder

JayRyder Forum Member

maybe the turbo is better, but you wont see a bhp improvement unless boost is increased. Maybe less/more lag though? more potential boost?

5. jc.. Forum Member

same exhaust housing AFAIK, still to small in my opinion! I have one and it is coming out ASAP!

6. newimage1 New Member

how can i have the boost increased

7. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Remap. Revo/Superchips/APR/others.
    What car is it?
    If it's a Mk4 Golf/Seat Leon/Audi, you can remap a KO3 to about 195hp. A KO3s will go to about 215. If you change exhaust and a few bits, you can get 235 from a KO3s.

8. Seraph Banned

Think we need to remain cautious about claims that just any exhaust will add 20hp to a mk4...

9. newimage1 New Member

what exhaust should i be looking for to gain best bhp been trying get old of a milltec duplex has i have a rear r32 bumper .

10. bens_cab Forum Junkie

indeed ive just chaged my exhaust so its straight through i wanna know where my 20bhp is:lol: :lol: :lol:

11. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Oh, not again! I didn't say an exhaust gives 20bhp!

Miltek are good, but I don't know if they do an R32 style exhaust. Have a look on www.uk-mkivs.net, I seem to remember a couple of threads on there about R32 style exhausts being made.

12. Seraph Banned

Ok, fine, but why leave readers guessing?

Tell them exactly which 'bits' you refer to?

And then remind them that those bits must be made by the same manufacturer and the RR test carried out on the same day.

13. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Because I don't know; I stopped at 225. You'll have to ask the guys on UK-MKIVS.net how they did it - try GaryM for starters.

14. Seraph Banned

You misunderstand!
    It's not me you need to tell - I already know what will and wont add hp - you need to tell/point right way to the forum members out there that are new to all this!!

15. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Now you're being deliberately pedantic.

[EDIT]
    Because I don't know; I stopped at 225. He'll have to ask the guys on UK-MKIVS.net how they did it - try GaryM for starters.
    [/EDIT]

Is that better?

16. Admin Guest

Right, to get this back on top, yeah the K03s is better than the K03.

The K03 can push about 15psi of boost, and it tends to tail off around 5K rpm.

The K03s will handle 19psi of boost and can hold this right up to 6.5k.

The two units are interchangeable in the sense that they use the same coolant and oil lines, and have exactly the same fitment.

The K03 turbo comes as 150Bhp as standard and can be remapped to approx 185Bhp without extra modifications needed.

The K03s comes as 180Bhp as standard and can be mapped to 205Bhp without extra modifications.

The biggest restrictive element with these turbos after the map itself if the downpipe, and this will need to be changed to get better power, look at a 3" downpipe.

The Cat is not restrictive on the Mk4 series but really, you might as well change it if you are changing the downpipe, so this is where the myth of new exhaust means 20Bhp more comes from. Yes if you have a new downpipe and are remapped to adapt, but otherwise no.

Anyway, back to the K03s, if you fit a FMIC, a new downpipe and exhaust, and remap to suit, you can be looking at 240Bhp with 260ft.lbs of torque according to Custom Code, so yes, the K03s IS a better turbo.

17. Seraph Banned

Ahh, well thats different.
    Traditionally, 'exhaust' doesn't include the cat.(oops - I think I've just been pedantic)
    Oh well, at least I'm making myself clear.

18. newimage1 New Member

is power flow a good exhaust as i have not heard much about them and i need a custom exhaust making to fit my rear bumper.becuse i have a rear r32 bumper and cannot get a milltec from any where

19. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

You can buy direct from Miltek at http://www.millteksport.com/.
    Give them a call.

Don't know much about Powerflow. There are a few guys on here who use Powerflow though.

20. golfjunky

golfjunky Forum Member

powerflow are good so ive heard and assume as they custom make the piping specific to your car, which cant be bad, from the manifold back there prices range from 300-450 quid, and you can ask for it with or without a cat and have the tail pipe you want, the r32 has two 100mm pipes i think (gonna do it on my mk3).

though keep in mind there also may be other exhaust manufacturers i.e. longlife in your area that can give you a competitive price (bounce them off one another) hope this helps