KR cuts out at high revs..Update

Discussion in '16-valve' started by nickvw, Dec 1, 2005.

1. nickvw Forum Member

No its not the limiter if any one asks ;)

It started happening at Mallory I noticed, What happens is when I give some beans it cuts out anywhere between 5 and 6.5k. The rev counter immediately drops to zero for a second or so then recovers, at which point I ease off on the pedal, then it pops loadly out the exhaust [:s] :lol: It doesn't do it all the time, just ever so often, but it happened last night when I was overtaking [:s]

Must do something about it but as it is intermittent it is difficult to pinpoint a particular part. When the rev counter drops no ignition lights come on, evrything is as it should.

Any one else had a similar problem. It only happens in the top half of the rev range. Accel hard below 3k it never does it [:s]

any ideas most welcome, cheers...
    Edited by: nickvw

2. rradogolfman Forum Member

hall sender packing up?!?! see post in sw dubs forum,, ;)

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Check your dizzy cap/rotor arm too, may have a crack in it.

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like Hall sender, or corroded ECU terminals.

5. GVK

I've had a rotor burn out before that made a similar fault, as Gurds says,... :)

6. rradogolfman Forum Member

yeap nice one gurds,,
    & gary
    get investigating nick,, ;)

7. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

exactly the same as my problem

how much are new hall senders?? easy to change??

8. rradogolfman Forum Member

about 30 not too bad,, you will see how to get to it once you have the new part,, ;)

9. nickvw Forum Member

Cheers boys, Gonna get it in the garage tonight and have a look ;)

10. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

is it a case of they just work or dont work cos I tested it as per Haynes and the hall sender seems fine.

11. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

they tend to break down and be intermittent most of the time i think,probably a bit on/off with heat too? expanding/contracting with the diffarent temps.

would it be worth checking out the coil too? your rev counter would drop if it intermittently lost power at certain rpm...

neil.

12. nickvw Forum Member

Cheers riley ;)

Was gonna have a play with it tonight but the weather is poo [8(] :lol:

Will do it tomorrow now.Might just get a new coil aswell when I get the hall sender and try that :)

13. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

any 8v/16v big block type coil will do m8,just in case you've a spare knocking about or sommet? rather than buy one straight away. :thumbup:

neil.

14. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

do coils need to be earthed?? could it be an earthing problem as mine appears to be worse when i go over bumps, so something is definitly moving about somewhere!!

15. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

theyre earthed through the fixing point gareth :thumbup:
    sounds more like a tired spade connector or sommet possibly?

neil.

16. nickvw Forum Member

Just had a look, since I havent had the car long I havent had much chance to have a good look over, but firstly I noticed the drain holes were blocked where the water runs off the windscreen into the channel just above the scuttle panel. There was alot of leaves and crap in behind the scuttle panel so gave it a good clean out. The plug that goes on to the ECU was wet. I have dried it off and wanted to remove it to check the pins, but I am not sure how it comes off [:s] Dont want to brake it on a fri pm [:s] :lol:

Also, spotted a vacuum pipe astray close to the ecu and a bit of rubber on the back of the ecu were it looks like it should fit, so I have refitted it. It goes to the T piece just behind the inlet manifold.

Gonna see how it drives tonight so I will keep you all posted ;)

Then its off to GSF for some bits if it still does it :lol:

Cheers for the help so for :)

17. GVK

Nick, there's a flat 'catch' at the side of the multi plug , press that one way,then you 'hook' the multi plug out, hard to explain without you seeing me waving me hands about :p When you put it back in you'll put one end in, then slide the plug back in.

Vac pipe detects manifold vacumn and adjust timing to suit, just be careful/listen see if it doesn't pink, might be a reason it's been disconnected.

18. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

right, it happened to me with the revs cutting out really bad this morning when i first set off.
    it had been reaning loads last night so i'm sure that has something to do with it.

as riley suggested it could be my coil as the rev counter definitly plummets when it happens, so I'm assuming it's definitly an electrical fault.

what does the crank sensor do though? Does this control the coil? I have been fiddling with the coil lately, messing round with the ISV and stuff.

Could my coil be arcing?? As I don't have any insulation on the ISV wire, does this sound possible??

19. nickvw Forum Member

Cheers Gary ;)

I did see the catch and half attempt to pull it out, just wanted to make sure. If the vacuum pipe makes no difference Then I will leave it connected, It won't have a leak then :)

Give it another bash later ;)

Gonna be off line at the weekend so I will keep you posted If I fix it before then ;)
    Edited by: nickvw

20. TERFYSG New Member

Hall Sender!!!!

Had the same problem on my 8v. Got worse, until eventualy it cut out and wouldn't start. [:x]
    Changed the dizzy, started first time! :p
    One roadrally later ( about 450 mile round trip ) with heavy showers and two fords and no sign of the problem.
    [:D] [:D]
    Before trying the dizzy, I tried the plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm and coil. [:s]