KR ECU / ign timing issues

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Typ53, Oct 1, 2023.

1. Typ53 New Member

I've been struggling with low power and have found that the ECU doesn't respond to the vacuum signal. I've tested by checking the ignition timing with and without vacuum (also tried using a hand held vacuum pump directly to the ECU map sensor) and it only responds to RPM, not load. The most advance that I get is 18 degrees at 4000 RPM, and the timing hunts a bit at idle.

I'm 95% sure the idle switch works fine and suspect the MAP sensor inside the ECU is toast. The remaining 5% is because the car has started surging at idle and stumbling on acceleration, with poor power output.

(On a related side note, does anyone know what the grey coloured plastic knob on the side of the KR ECU is for?)

Has anyone got a source for how to repair the ECU MAP (or indeed someone who could repair a simple KR ECU?) The sticky thread on digifant MAP replacement looks promising

Background: recently rebuilt fuel distributor and WUR, Schrick 268/276 cams.