KR Exhaust cam mod

Discussion in '16-valve' started by MACHANTLER, Aug 5, 2004.

1. MACHANTLER Forum Member

Hi
    What does this exhaust cam mod involve that i have been reading about on the KR engine?

Cheers

2. mad-mechanic New Member

it is another 16v exhaust cam with the end chop off and a drive cog pressed on 6 degree differnt to its old timing not sure if + or - that is then fitted in place of the inlet cam. :)

3. Seizure Forum Member

PM Flusted on this forum - He sells the pulleys. 35 IIRC.

4. flusted Forum Member

I dont sell them directly.I can arrange to send them to hotgolf who can do them on an exchange bases.
    As mad mech said,you need to cut the cam down to the same length as inlet cam,then get new chainwheel pressed on to correct the cam to cam timing

5. MACHANTLER Forum Member

Cheers
    for your response.
    Is it worth doing?

6. smithy Forum Member

Well I think that his rolling road result, 162 horse and 136 torque shows its well worth it!

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

And we will se on Thursday how well the twin ABF seup runs...

8. Peter Forum Member

If you dont mind me asking Tubthumped how come you are'nt running your Schricks anymore?

Pete

9. seth223uk Forum Member

after reading the posts on here recently people do not seem to be having any joy with the schricks. It seems that you hit a glass ceiling with these valver engines where high outlays result in little gain. After the 2.0 litre bottom end and KR cams it seems very expensive and little gain to go much further.

what do you guys reckon? Doesnt seem much point in going too far for the cost. Maybe better to move onto 20vt power where the tuning potential is endless.

cheers
    mike

10. Peter Forum Member

For me I have chosen to go down the 2.0 16 valve route, predominantly from a money point of view when its eventually finished I should hopefully see around 180- 185bhp for a smidgen under 1000 pounds which I personally feel is pretty good in the bang per buck states. Theres no doubt that the 20VT is a superior conversion in terms of big bhp, drivability and economy however conversions prices are still on the high side for me. Youve also got to think how much can a Golf comfortably handle I personally think around 200bhp in a FWD golf would provide a great balance between drivability and pace although Im sure some people would say that they can handle much more:) Personally at the moment if I wanted 20VT power I would go for an A3 1.8T Quattro which is the cheapest way into a 1.8T AWD car (which can had for a little more than some places charge for a conversion) and is a great base to build a big bhp car on.

Pete

11. seth223uk Forum Member

good points made there. I think i will keep my 2 litre near stock form without spending hundreds on it. If i want more power i will just go 1.8t or another car altogether.

12. steve r

steve r Forum Member

i've just got hold of an ABF engine,

can i use the exhaust cam from my old KR engine to replace the ABF inlet or do both cams have to be from the same engine code?

13. seth223uk Forum Member

IIRC the exhaust cams are the same from the 6A 9A and ABF. Do a search on here and youll find it.