KR head on ABF block

Discussion in '16-valve' started by steve9016V, Jun 22, 2005.

1. steve9016V Forum Member

Right i have trawled through the posts above but there is not a lot of info on this.

The reason i am doing this is because the guy i am buying the engine of had his timing belt snap, so he got a low milage engine with a warranty but the garage that was doing the work did not want to take the engine/box out so they just put the other head on.

So i have bought the low milage bottom end and the complete head with 3 bent inlet valves for 80 , bargain i thought.

So i have gathered that my head wil fit on the block no probs, what i was wondering was,
    1 Should i use new head bolts
    2 I take it i should get a ABF head gasket
    3 Can i use the rocker cover from the ABF (mines a bit scabby)
    4 Are there any probs with exhaust manifold clearence (found mixed answers on this)

And just any other comment/probs anyone else can think of on this

cheers steve

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

New head bolts
    ABF head gasket
    Don't think the ABF rocker cover fits a KR..worth trying it tho. I seem to remember the 9A one not fitting my KR head.

You can tip the engine using the front mount to get around the ex clearance.. PM hotgolf.. ;)

3. chrismc Forum Junkie

1. Yes. always good practice..
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes
    4. If the car is running a standard exhaust you may be better off going to an 8v downpie. Diesel front mounts/ Vibratechnics tend to tilt the engine further backwards so increase exhaust to bulkhead clearance.. ;)

4. danmoody Forum Member

WHAT WILL THIS DO POWER WISE AND WHY A KR HEAD

5. GVK

His ABF head has bent valves ;)

6. GVK

I'd be tempted to fit valves in the ABF head, providing the guides are ok. KR head will no doubt have done more work won't it?

7. GVK

Does the ABF rocker cover have studs and nuts to secure or bolts? Memory is coming back now, My '94 9A engine had studs /nuts and I seem to remember the gasket being different so I couldn't fit a KR cover to it.. My flowed head is a KR one, so used a KR cover + gasket.
    Edited by: GVK

8. steve9016V Forum Member

That and when i had it rolling roaded the operator at Star Performance said he though it must have had some headwork to get 162.5bhp and 129lbf-ft of torque .

was going to take the head off and have a look but i would not have a clue what i was looking for :lol:

9. Dub Nutta Forum Member

Manifold should clear even with std mounts as long as they are nice and new.

10. Quasar Forum Member

It seems the KR is better head inletwise, worse exhaustwise compared to the ABF. Still, it seems the KR head seems to squeeze a few more hp than the ABF. I suppose that is why a nice manifold works wonders with KR (offsets the bad exhaust ports a bit)...

Wouldn't a KR headgasket also fit?

11. GVK

'fraid the ABF head is every bit as good as a KR head in standard form, as is the later 9A head ( same as ABF )

Early 027 cast KR head has bigger inlets as it doesn't have a water channel running through the port divider as the later 051 head does.

If the 9A /ABF head is good, I wouldn't swap them.

If 9A just fit the KR inlet cam.

12. Quasar Forum Member

Right... I won't insist, it was hearsay anyway... I haven't actually tried both.

13. GVK

It's an old American wives tale IMO. :lol:

14. steve9016V Forum Member

Thats good to know, was going to be all new mounts, water,oil pumps timing belt and tensioner [:D]

15. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

ABF C/W KR gas flowed head & standard KR cams 170bhp & 150 lb/ft
    [​IMG] ;)

16. steve9016V Forum Member

Before i fit the engine would like to freshin it up a bit by painting the block, rocker and inlet noticed you did your inlet GVK what should i use just heat resistant paint ??

17. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

I was thinking of doing the same with my 6a before fitting it. Any recommendations for good paint that can stand the heat? What about colours for the block? I know red adds 20bhp... :p :lol:

18. GVK

I used normal 2 pack car body paint + laquer on the rocker cover + inlet. :)

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

Definitely a bargain IMHO...send one of the heads off for a bit of work and Robert's your father's Brother.

20. steve9016V Forum Member

Well i picked up the engine last night, am pleased with all the stuff i got for 80, may bung the leftovers on e-bay see if i can make some cash back :lol:

Am seriously considering putting new inlet valves in the ABF head cause it's only got 52K compaired to my 130 odd.

Here are a couple of pics of it will now doubt be harrasing a few of you for answers in the near future.

Steve

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited by: steve9016V