lambda probe

Discussion in '16-valve' started by idlirp, Nov 2, 2011.

1. idlirp Forum Member

concerned about fuel consumption, i think i solved it today. engine run mostly rich and could smell unburned petrol. no fault codes shown in vcds, vac hose ok. temp sender ok. w about o2 probe? lets see. found a o2 probe from a mk4 in the junkyard, seller garanteed it worked well. took it and made a test like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdn4Dk5PSwc .
    seemed to work pretty good. 1 minute heating and could gain 0.9V at the heart of the flame where its supposed there's no oxygen, when pulled out of the flame showed 0.02V only 2-3 seconds later. so i removed mine, tested it. voltage started raising 2min after, it went up to max 0.6V. operation was not accurate at all, it responded 15 to 20secs in delay. not much satisfied with it, maybe a wrong impression , but the mk4 one performed much better.

but, it was not plug'n'play!

i had to modify the connector! went again to the junkyard and ripped off the mk4 connector!

this was the old style:

[​IMG]
    By senndogg at 2011-11-02

and after some soldering:

[​IMG]
    By senndogg at 2011-11-02

accidentally blew up fuse no5 (fuel pump, 02 heater, injectors) and this took me some extra time solving the issue :(
    finally the car started and i think it is doing quite well. i must not shout in advance but im really optimistic it will moderate the consumption, no more smell of gas, and car has great response! cheers everybody!