later spec expansion tank

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by VR6Will, Sep 18, 2004.

1. VR6Will Forum Member

want to replace my older style expansion tank with a newer round later type i have, i know the mountings are different but is it an easy swap.... anyone done it?

2. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

would also like to know!

wat about the senders as well in it...

3. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

3rd...

4. VR6Will Forum Member

i already have one, just wanna know if its an easy swap....suppose i could go outside and have a look :lol:

5. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Yup I fitted the later style to my valver before I sold it. See pic below.

[​IMG]

The new sytle item can sit to the bottom of the old style mount.

You drill and screw the top part onto the old mount using the VAG studs (so you can attach the black cover).

You then need to support the bottom of the tank. To do this, get a plastic gutter support from B&Q and chop it so you have a quarter pipe shape. screw the gutter holder to the strut tower under the old style mount and then shape the end so it fits into the bottom of the tank.

Its very sturdy and works well.

As for the wiring, just grab the tank and connector from any VW with the later style (I got mine from a passat). The wire are the same colour, so no probs there.

It totally sorted out my flashing dash light issues and constant leaking coolant level sender probs.

Well worth doing IMO.

6. VR6Will Forum Member

i had a look earlier and the old bracket is welded to the turret so what you descirbe harry sounds the best way to do it! will give it a try during the week!

7. The Pig Forum Member

Why bother ? Never had any problems with mine.....yet !

8. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

Was just going to say the same thing!

9. davegti Forum Member

Wouldnt the easiest way to fix a leaking, defective coolant level sensor be to replace the sensor, not the whole bottle ?

10. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

just changed mine for the later style one, using bike spokes and zip ties, i mean if you're gonna do a job do it properly!

and the reason for my changing to the later style, i have no end of problems with the early style caps not sealing enough, thus poor weaser overheats alot, also my strut brace is in the way of the early caps, the later one now sits lower so i can get the cap off, bonus

11. VR6Will Forum Member

same reason as Jolfa really, probs with strut brace and cap not sealing properly, also i think the later bottle looks nicer!

12. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

oh also, my new one now has a blue cap which goes nicely with a few other bits in the engine bay:thumbup:

13. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Because after replacing the sender 4 times and several different caps, I kinda got bored of this design.

For sure, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but mine always seemed to be broken, so I fixed it. [:D]

14. The Pig Forum Member

Each to his own. There is no problem with the design so if the tank does leak I would just buy a new standard one.

If you can't get the top off with a strut brace fitted that would be justification enough for a change, but because they "look nicer" and have a "blue cap" ? It's a f*cking engine bay for Christ's sake !

15. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

They have bought a new standard one...

Just from a later car... ;)

16. VR6Will Forum Member

Whats everyones problem with changing the [xxx] expansion tank?

my current cap leaks and yes have replaced the sender a couple of times, and i have problems opening it with the strut brace on, im currently breaking a late spec 16v so i thought i'd use that one, its not like it costing me anything [:s] plus i also prefer the look of the later one, yes it is only an engine bay but like the rest of my car i want it to look good! :clap:

17. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

I'm with you on this one (obviously). How many times have you read "my coolant warning lamp is always flashing" on this forum due to the cack older style senders?

If its such a good design, then why did VW change it?

I'm not telling people to change their header tanks if they aren't broke, that would be silly. Someone asked if it had been done, and I simply answered as I had swapped mine.

There were no probs with the cap and the strut brace. I had sure of that before I fitted it.

18. destructiv dave Forum Member

I changed mine as I converted my car to 90 spec wiring. I took a hammer and chisel type thing to the old bracket (its only held on by four spot welds) then welded the later type bracket in place.

The later style ones are held onto the donor cars by two 13mm nuts so easy to get into your pocket at the scrappy ;)

19. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Is it better to pick up a new expansion tank from VW @ 25 + vat or get a second hand one from a scrappy? Just wondering 'cos I think mine is causing problems but don't want to have trouble with a second hand item in future. :)

20. damogti Forum Junkie

I'd buy a new one mate, you dont know whether the one you get from the scrappy will give the same problems otherwise....