Leaf springs?

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by 1981GOLFGTI, Jan 11, 2011.

1. mk1. Forum Junkie

and a mention on why they changed the clutch if the diff bearings are duff[8(]

2. danster Forum Addict

Absolutely, that is why I made that point, but it may have got lost a page back.
    The car may have needed the clutch doing at some point, but that could easily have been left till a gearbox was sourced and saved most of the labour charges.
    To me, this is the stand out fault in all this.

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Couple of options there indeed.

It seems the dealer was making Exec decisions pivoting around the gearbox, to do the labour intensive expensive job, but refuse to do the cheap job.

Defintely something in than line of approach.

4. danster Forum Addict

Most dealers garages will have suction equipment for sucking oil out of an engine without having to remove the sump plug. Some cars do not even have sump plugs these days.
    Suck out from the top and it saves dropping the undertray. ;)

5. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

hi Chris, thank you for the draft letter, I will take pictures of the sump tomorrow morning & have them to that site for you to look at.
    I will await your reply on the sump to finish the draft letter. :)

6. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

So does that mean for a full service, costing 229 & don't replace the air filter? The old air filter was a mess

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Updates in red above.

8. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

So are the differential bearings in the gearbox?

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Where the driveshafts are bolted onto the gearbox, just inside the gearbox, there are tapered bearings each side. They will have decided at the point of undoing the driveshafts (BEFORE changing the clutch) that these bearings were wobbly.

They should have stopped work, and called you for instructions, or reassembled and declined to do the work.

10. possle Forum Member

i work at a ford dealer and if we had an old car say a capri/old sierra a new RS even. some ones pride and joy, we would take as much care as normal with that little bit extra for an older car.
    all service parts would be checked and then customer advised. filters plugs etc
    the clutch would NOT have been done. if there was a fault on the gearbox we would still have changed the oil (if requested) but advised the customer our findings.
    as far as i can tel vw have just just robbed the poor bloke of his money. and then its as if they couldnt be bothered to gve a proper service to the golf.
    imagaine if it were a r32 owner with similar problems. if would be a different kettle a fish.
    whats wrong with taking the bung out seeing whats wrong and if threads are damaged get it heli coiled. no need for a new sump then. that way the asked work would of been done.
    as i said on the last thread...disgusted

11. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Chris, regarding the gear oil top up, they said they did top it up but what I had asked them to do was a full gear oil change. I only asked for the gear oil change as during the cold months we've just experienced my gears were a little noisy when cold, but fine after afew miles. I read online that replacing your gear oil with some good stuff will prevent the noise. I got the same information from everyone except the guy who issued me the bill at VW who said it would only make it more noisy?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Fine, will alter above now.

13. muppet9966 Forum Member

Great letter Chris.
    I really hope VW take note of this and do something about it (although I suspect they won't).

14. dubboy76 Forum Member

What kind of service did you ask and sign for (work to be carried out)? IIRC there is no specific "Full Service" for this car. You should have a copy of the service items carried out (check list)

15. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I asked for the full service which costs 229. They have another, cheaper service they do, you would have to ask the garage what both services include I'm sorry, but as it stands, they didn't do a service whatsoever, just replaced my spark plugs which cost me, I didn't have to pay the full service as they didn't do it. They told me they couldn't do both the jobs I'd asked till clutch was fixed, then sump.....

16. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Hi chris, I'll have those sump pictures to you by 2pm

17. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

The sump does need replacing IMO I've uploaded the pic to Chris, so I can understand the logic behind not doing the engine oil change & obviously oil filter, but it has nothing to do with the gear oil change & the new cluch needing installing?

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

No sign of the pics - still uploading?

19. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I've checked my uploaded images & it isn't there, I've just uploaded it again now

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Sump pic - that's a mess!

[​IMG]