Leaking water into Passat B5.5

Discussion in 'Passat' started by golfpaul, Dec 28, 2012.

1. golfpaul Forum Member

Basically, rain appears to be leaking into the passats drivers front and rear footwells.

What are the likely candidates for this?

Ive read that issues with the cabin air filter housing can cause leaking, would this leak into the offside front and rear though?

Any help greatly appreciated :thumbup:

2. nealey Forum Junkie

It's probably coming in through the e box housing if its the drivers side. Remove the scuttle trim first and make sure it's not full of water, the drain is under the battery, it looks like a witches hat, it's best to remove it completely as they block up

3. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

If it still continues check the doors, remove the door card & look around the metal skin inside. I found my leak on the seal of the metal skin.

Passenger side is usually the pollen filter housing or these drainage holes.

Remove the wiper arms, scuttle panel, battery & battery tray there's a hole directly under the tray and one more towards the drivers side. Stick your finger in the hole and push all the crap out! See a nice deposit on the floor when you move the car :)

4. golfpaul Forum Member

Sorry what is the Ebox?

I have also noticed that the A-pillar is wet where it meets the headlining, the drivers seat had a big watermark on where it had been dripping all night.
    Took a-pillar trim off but nothing much to see - any ideas?

5. nealey Forum Junkie

It's just a box that has some relays and connectors in.

Does your car have a sunroof? Possibly drain related if it is. It runs from the front corner inside the car along the a pillar and exits at the bottom of the pillar into the scuttle.

Other option is has it had a windscreen and it hasn't been sealed properly, think they are bonded screens on 3b passats aren't they?

6. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

The drain plug in the scuttle been removed, sits below the battery but viewable from the underside . This is the cause 90% of the cases I have seen (and that's lots) it has a single drain, gets bunged up and the water builds up. The splash guard doesn't cope under water and drains into cabin
    So the ebox, pollen filter, & servo all leak. Best thing to dry the interior is get it out

7. golfpaul Forum Member

I completely dried out the inside today, if it rains tonight i should be able to trace it easier.
    Tomorrow i am having a look at this, i read the diy about cleaning the two drians, one under battery and other under brake servo - should these just be cleaned or removed?
    Is there any others under the scuttle tray to clean?

Why would the A-pillar be leaking where it meets the headlining, i did remove the trim but could not see much going on...

Thanks in advance.

8. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Door seal split?

Also the pollen filter housing is another leaking point. You got to remove the housing & there's a putty sponge seal and this leaks. VW got a replacement putty in the workshop but you got to talk to the service/workshop manager to get some or I used some black silicone sealant that's used when replacing window screens.

9. golfpaul Forum Member

Did the pollen filter today and cleaned the two drains around the battery so hopefully eliminated these.

Next is the leaky A pillar at the top where it meets the headlining.

Ive tried (in desperation) to reseal the windscreen in the leaky area and hope that helps - i dont think it could be anything other than a poor windscreen seal.

Unless anyone knows anymore...