Leaky webber carbs

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by AngryLupo, Oct 7, 2014.

1. AngryLupo Paid Member Paid Member

I noticed petrol/oil puddle on inlet manifold under Webber carb, wiped dry and drive for about 120 miles. I checked again on other day and has small pool of petrol/oil again, it was more petrol than oil really. I asked my friend to rev the engine for me to catch leak and cant find anywhere. Where could the leak comes from?

My car run fine no sputter from carbs. Golf driver 1.6 Webber carbs.

here pic of leak

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  2. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Looks more like an oil leak from you rocker cover gasket mate, check and see its tight should be the one piece rubber one if not change it
    GSF/euro car parts do the upgrade kit with new gasket with new studs [:[]

Pump jet diaphragm looks ok ...I see a bit of wetness at the top of float chamber
    Maybe remove top of carb and check float needle and float height ;)

Also check the rubber mounting plate below carb for splits , just tilt the carb with the airbox removed which should expose them ;)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  3. tom1989 Forum Member

In that picture I can see a darker patch above what I think is called the enrichment pump (bit with the gold-ish lever with a little white plastic wheel on the end). The enrichment pump adds a short jet of extra fuel as the throttle is pressed quickly (ie. when setting off from a standstill), so maybe this system could be leaking? Take the airbox off the top so you can see it clearly, and pump the throttle a couple of times (engine off, though it might gas it up a little if you do it quite a few times so leave the airbox off a bit for the fuel to evaporate before you try starting it) and see if you can see any wetness anywhere outside the carb.

It does look quite black for a fuel leak, though I've known leaking fuel to wash the oil off other bits as it runs down and make pools like this before. If it's not a fuel leak I'd say that's probably the rocker cover gasket leaking oil at the back.

Give the whole area a good clean with carb cleaner or similar, including the back of the head up to the rocker cover, dry it down and try again. If its oil then you should expect black marks where it's leaking from, if it's fuel then the pools will be a lot less oily.

4. tom1989 Forum Member

That last post before mine changed as I typed out mine I think, I didn't mean to repeat what had already been said... must learn to type faster...

5. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Its all good atleast you took the time to reply :thumbup:

6. AngryLupo Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks all of you, its getting dark now, will try to do tomorrow hopefully I am free and work on it. :thumbup:

7. WillG

WillG Forum Member

That does look more oily than petrol.

Check in the airbox itself as that's right below the split in it, also as above check the cam cover gasket.