Leon Cupra

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by stella, May 17, 2004.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Son gets to chose his new company car in the next few months. The 2 litre Focus has been fun, but now he wants something different.
    Not sure of his price limit, but he's also constrained by the insurance group.

He fancies a new GTI Golf, but will be over his limit, so has been looking at various others to narrow down which ones he will have for a weeks test drive.

Decided against the Nissan (before I disowned him!) and also against the Volvo S40 (nice car, but bit 'middle-class-boring).

At weekend, went to Seat garage, and he now has his eye on Leon Cupra. Didn't think I'd like anything non-Golf, but this car looks really good. Platinum metallic, 180bhp, 20v (I think) and lots of toys. I'm beginning to be convinced......

So - tell me more about it. Is it really a cheapo Golf? How do they compare? Would you have one? Why?

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

i'd have one in a second. probably even before i'd have a mk3, mk4 or mk5 golf! :thumbup:

20vT engine and brembo brakes. mmmmmm. luverly!

3. edc1 Forum Member

No brembos on a plain old Leon Cupra. Still get the same 312 size brakes as TTs tho.

4. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I thought he mentioned Brembos (but he'd also been lusting over the Cupra R, though out of his reach).

And where does the R get it's extra 45 horses over the plain Cupra, if it has the same engine?

5. Scaffolder Forum Member

Excellent car - no real noticable difference in quality than the Golf, and a damn sight cheaper. 180bhp engine is smooth yet fast, brakes are top notch - nearly put our lass through the windscreen on our test drive when she didn't hold on when I told her :lol: Personally, for the money, I prefer the Skoda Octavia vRS, but either is a restyled Golf for less cash.

6. Scaffolder Forum Member

Think the LCR uses the K04 turbo - can be chipped to something approaching 270bhp - nice [:D]

7. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

mis-read it as cupra R. sorry :)

8. edc1 Forum Member

LCR has same engine as 210/225 S3/TT so twin intercoolers and larger turbo. Cupra same engine as Golf4 Anni, as big if not bigger spec and much cheaper. Not many good Seat dealers about tho, but that doesn't matter any more since EU regulations mean you don't habe to have dealer service to maintain warranty. Look at the Leon forum here www.seatcupra.net/forums
    Edited by: edc1

9. Rob.gti Forum Member

Have to disagree with the quality statement, but then again you will be paying less for it than a Golf. The interior is well outdated, and build Spanish build quality isnt up to German standards, but other than that, the Leon is a very capable car, and excellent value.

I drove the Leon Cupra R225 and was very impressed with the ride and handling, as well as the perfomance. Not much in it compared to the R32, however they are miles appart when it comes to interior ambience :)

10. edc1 Forum Member

Shame that some VWs are built alongside Seats in Spain ;)

11. mincecfc2 Forum Member

I'd leap at one. Just back from a short break in Spain where there are loads around. They look awesome.

I'd have one over a mk4 or mk5 Golf anyday

12. redbaron Forum Member

Top car, i'd have on over a mk4 Golf gti any day of the week.

13. AndrewF Forum Addict

yeah, have to agree with that...would have an R32 over a LCR though.

14. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

15. edc1 Forum Member

Difficult one that. Not sure it's a fair comparison tho but I could err with the R32 too.

16. Rob.gti Forum Member

I thought this thread was about the Leon CUPRA - not the Leon Cupra R.

Given the choice, I would have a 180bhp Golf GTI over the Cupra. For the reasons I state above.

Now, if you are comparing the Cupra R against the Golf GTI (a little unfair) then its close call, as the Cupra R is 18500 on the road, and the Golf 180 GTI is 17500 on the road. Both get a lot of kit as standard, but the Cupra R has wheels and more go, and looks the part.

So its not really a fair comparision. The Cupra R is pitched against the R32, which is more expensive obviously.

Its horses for courses at the end of the day. Basically, SEAT is the cheaper alternative to VW and VW as a whole dont mind which one you buy. Either way they win [:D]

17. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Love the look of the Cupra R but don't like the interior, the 1.8T engine or the lack of 4WD.
    Not driven one though.

18. sportline cab Forum Member

the seat actually came higher in the top gear survey than the golf, infact it came higher than all the golf varients. thats taking into account dealers and servicing costs and all that stuff aswell though.

19. Rob.gti Forum Member

You have to remember that all these Surveys dont take into account numbers sold.

There would be twuice as many Golfs sold than Leons, so more people would reply to the survey, hence giving only a rough guide.

20. Scaffolder Forum Member

Will agree with the second part if you're comparing it to the R32 - I love those Recaro's.

However, comparing the Golf GTI to the Leon Cupra, I honestly don't think there's anything in it - certainly not 2 grands worth anyhow!