Light switch illumination.bulb or unit?.

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by mrglee, Apr 1, 2019.

1. mrglee Forum Member

The bulb that lights up the switch is playing up.turn on side lights this lights up the switch but very dim.put on headlights and switch goes dark but will come on now and again and the alot brighter have tried tapping the switch but makes no difference.is this a problem with the contacts in the switch or a dicky bulb?.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Assuming headlight switch the bulb should be on all the time with ignition, but what car is it?

3. mrglee Forum Member

Sorry it's a 96 GTi 8v colour concept and yes headlight switch.

4. rubjonny

yes there should be a bulb inside which is always on with ignition, but looking at the diagram is also a 2nd bulb which comes on with the sidelights so I guess thats the one which is coming on dim and the main bulb isn't working.

first check the headlight switch wiring for any damage, the brown wire should be an earth if thats bad looking at it the bulbs will all try to earth thru the rear fog light

5. mrglee Forum Member

Thanks rubjohnny as usual the man of knowledge.will check earth and wiring I have had the unit apart and checked bulb which seems ok but had a bulb do this before checks ok but will not light up through a fractured element which brakes down under load don't suppose you know what bulb it is all I can say it's small ( micro bulb size) but in a long black holder.

6. rubjonny

I would assume its an LED in a MK3 switch? The corrado window switches I modified were 3mm LEDs anyway

7. mrglee Forum Member

All fixed the warning lights on the switch are led but the backlight is a 12v miniature.the wire from the bulb to the contacts was fused/welded on and had a hard time getting the solder to take pretty sure it's not a suitable material for solder had to build solder up on the wire tails the push the contacts passed them to make a push fit.