Lighting

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by joe98, Jan 26, 2019.

1. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

Anyone know the best headlights for a mk2? I’ve seen hella, are they the brightest on the market?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Best I've used, but more than that, you want good bulbs like Osram NightBreaker Unlimited . And an uprated loom.

3. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

Instead of creating a new thread I thought I'd revive an old one.

Back in Jan I ordered an uprated headlight loom, it connected straight up to the outer main headlights however it doesn't connect up to the inner spotlights. Now it's MOT time I need to get them working. The inner spotlights themselves have two wires coming out the back but my new loom has this connector on it

10802-195.jpg

Do I just need to buy new spotlights that have a connector to match that? or is there an adaptor I need? Am I being stupid?

Also unrelated question: my inner spotlights are covered by Hella stickers and I read in the MOT guidance that lights that have been permanently covered don't need to be tested. Does that have any truth in it at all?

Cheers

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

The spotlights should have a mini loom with the male version of that plug on them.

5. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

Great thanks mate. My side lights are also faulty as they run off the old wiring loom for the headlights, is there a loom I can but that’ll replace those as well?

6. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

RJ are you still in the uprated lighting loom business?

7. joe98 Paid Member Paid Member

Just had a look and it’s a different connector on the spotlight, if I remember correctly the newer Mk2s came with a different loom, is it new spotlight time?
    A616DA2D-72A7-4EC1-BEF6-0541415F378B.jpeg

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep you have a loom/spot missmatch is all, early spots and late type plugs on the loom. easy fix if you can find a couple late spotlamp caps swap over and go, no need to replace the complete lamps. Or you could try and find the mating plugs and splice to your loom, or cut the plugs off your uprated loom and crimp spades on to match.

Have a word with Brendon Moss on Facebook he'll probably have loads in stock

I dont do the uprated looms any more as I didnt make any money on them and you can get pretty good ones on ebay if you shop around (plenty rubbish ones on there too mind :lol:)