Lightroom 4 - help needed!

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by stella, Aug 29, 2012.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Some help required, please, as LR4 is driving me mad!

My little Canon P&S only takes jpgs. I develop them in LR and when I want to do more editing in PhotoShop (by right-clicking), it gives me
    choices, such as use the original, use the one that's been fettled in LR, etc).

But when using my Nikon, LR only imported RAW files from my memory card (as I expected). Then I do a bit of work in LR brighten/sharpen/noise removal/etc) but when I right-clcik to edit in PhotoShop, none of those changes is there in PS, none of my work shows - it just seems to take the original RAW file.

I didn't pay a lot of money for my camera and my software to play around with jpgs! What is the point of LR if you do all that work on your RAW
    picture, then it just ignores it when you export to PS? [:x]

(polite) suggestions on a post card, please ......

Picture shows the LR4 pic (right) after it's been developed and the PS screen (left) where I imported it to shows no changes from the original RAW.

[​IMG]

2. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

ignore LR and edit raw in photoshop?

in seriousness - what version of photoshop and what version of ACR(adobe camera raw)

3. stella

stella Forum Junkie

You've hit the nail on the head there, Wez! I'm using LR4 and CS5.

The way I've been told to cure the problem - and it's worked - is to go into Edit/Preferences and on the General tab, turn the warnings back on! So I did, and it warned me that I did not have the latest version of ACR. I hadn't bothered updating it, as my Nikon D300 and my Canons (Ixus, S95 and G12) are all included in whatever version I already had.

So once I'd clicked past that, then it showed the screen I'd been expecting - inviting me to chose between original/copy of original/copy with LR changes. When I chose the last option, it imported it to PS with all my changes. It wasn't me that found the answer, but someone in my camera club. Simple when you know how, but a total mystery to me and - apparently - quite a few other people who've experienced the same problem!

What with my embarrassing camera problem, my software problem and my 8 year old niece taking better pictures than me, it makes me wonder if I should be allowed to be a photographer at all! :cry: Oh, the problems of hitting middle age and beyond - with only incontinence and losing my mind to look forward to! In fact, maybe I've already lost a fair bit of it ....... tiddly pom, tiddly pom ..... lol

[​IMG]