Lights buzzer problem

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Wombar, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Wombar Forum Member

Hi All,

I've recently got a Mk3 Gti 8V and have come across a small problem.

Every time I turn the lights off after I've turned off the ignition I've noticed that one of the front lights stays on and consequently sets off the buzzer saying that something has been left on.

It only seems to happen if I turn off the ignition before the ligths which is odd and I'm not really sure where to start looking for the problem.

Also does anyone elses buzzer go off if you leave an indicator on and then turn off the ignition? Is this a common problem or a gremlin that my car has inherited.

Anyway, cheers for any help.

2. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

If indicator is on then parking light on that side is on therefore buzzer is sounding to let you know.
    I think ,as I have a mk2 ,not sure but sounds like it would be that IMO

3. The Other Simon Forum Member

There is good news and bad news.

If you turn an indicator on, with the ignition off then one of the sidelights should come on. It's the parking light feature listed in your owners manual.

As for the other problem it could be one of three things. The buzzer is part of the instrument cluster (it's on the back), and so you could have a dodgy cluster. The headlight switch controls the lights, and has a load of electronics inside, which could be getting confused. And then there's the column switch, which by the sounds of it could be dodgy too.

My bet is the headlight switch. 60 to replace.

Simon.

4. Wombar Forum Member

Cheers for the reply guys.

I was kinda hoping that this was a common problem but obviously not, I'll just keep going as I am at the moment because as long as I turn the lights off first there doesn't seem to be a problem.

The reason I asked about the indicator was that my old car never used to buzz if I left an indicator on, but that was a nova so I guess it was a wonder that it buzzed at all.

Cheers dudes.

5. yournamehere New Member

My MK3 8v GTi does exactly the same. Its designed like that. We have a 2000 Lupo 1.4 16v that does the same too.

allan

6. Wombar Forum Member

Cheers for the reply.

I guessed that the buzzer was meant to come on for indicators etc but thanks for confirmation.

The light staying on appears to have fixed itself as I've not had a problem in the last few weeks, touch wood I should be okay.

7. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

if the indicaters left on this will put power to the front and rear side lights on that side.
    causing the buzzer to go off.