Lights no workie

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by pualo, Nov 6, 2003.

1. pualo New Member

After that thrash at Donington Sunday, my mates were following me home and noticed that the nearside rear (sidelight) wasn't working. Indicators and brake light (so same bulb) work fine. Yesterday morning I then noticed the front nearside sidelight wasn't working either, but the dipped and full beam do. I changed both bulbs and they both looked ok. New bulbs don't work either.

According to Haynes, Fuse No. 14 covers both these lights, so I changed it, but it came out looking fine and a new one made no difference. However, another fuse (15amp, no. 15 I think) was blown, and when I replaced it as soon as I turned on the sidelights, it blew again.

I have no idea really when it comes to electrics so can anyone tell me what to check next please?

Any possibility it could be something to do with the parking light feature, 'cos I seem to remember when you leave the indicator stalk in a certain position it leaves the offside lights on front and rear as a parking light (and these are working ok front and rear)

I should add the car is dry and the fusebox does not look wet or corroded (as I know this is a common Mk1 problem)

Could it be that I was just going so fast on Sunday I frightened them into not working? (Pause for laughter....)

2. pualo New Member

Although I feel a bit of an arse for not checking this first, I have found my problem. It was a number plate lightbulb that had died, blowing the fuse.

Shame on you experts for not suggesting that one.....

Golf...1
    Paul...0