"Lightweight" and "Track" wheels

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by mr.brown, Dec 29, 2005.

1. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Having read Bill's post about his new wheels and seen GVK's with his "track" wheels I was wondering what other wheels folk are running on the track and why?

Also, is there any advantage in running a smaller, wider rim, i.e 7x14 compared to 7x16 - presumably the 14inch wheel/tyre combo will weigh less but provide the same level of grip?

Incidentally, I just weighed a brand new G60 steel wheel and it weighs dead on 9kg. Compared this to my new 7x14 alloy wheel which weighs a few grammes over 7kg.

2. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

strangely enough, you'll find most people use their nice expensive alloys on the road. then put some crappy old heavy narrow steels on for track use.......[​IMG]

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I did that, once or twice ;)

Sean, my track wheels are just an old seat of Team Dynamics DTM, they're not particularly light but they were 50 the set :lol:

Besides, it's the tyres that make the difference :p

Light wheels with road tyres vs heavy wheels with decent rubber.. hmmm ;)
    Edited by: GVK

4. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

again, people spend all this money on their cars...then stick budget 195 toyo's on them.....WHY?!?!?!

if you're not going to put good miney into the most important part of the car them why spend a penny on the rest of it.

5. Unknown Forum Junkie

maybe because the toyos are decent enough for the money, my experience of buying expensive tyres from big brand names has been very dissapointing and expensive for the most part.

6. Brunty

Brunty Forum Member

I'm using Compo MO's because of my Brembo 4 pots, plus they look the muts....

Tyres - I've got "budget" Indy sport semi slicks on, which are fun in (or should I say over?) the puddles! That said they are AWESOME on damp tarmac.

Can't beat the Toyo's for wet weather imho.

Brunty

7. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I will be using some sort of multispoke compomotives I've got lying around (which are light as phunk) and will be shod with some Toyo R888 rubber (hopefully), when I get moved involved with trackdays.

8. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

the 888's are immense, I've never experienced anything like them.

mine were wrecked after 1500 road miles, one curborough day and 20 mins around donnington!

9. Golden Forum Junkie

This is a bit of an ambiguous question, it all depends whether you keep the rolling circumference the same.

10. steved Forum Member

I've used R888's all year :thumbup: and managed to get a 106.77 lap time at Goodwood running 115 around the first three bends. But now running slicks for next years sprint season.

11. mr.brown

Does the rolling circumference affect grip? I understand why it would affect acceleration and speed but how would it affect grip?

My question is can you get the same level of grip from a smaller wheel of equal width?

12. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

because if the wheels were smaller (circumference wise) it'd lower the gearing, and thus could cause traction issues.

13. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

14. mr.brown

15. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Pro-race ones are great wheels, but ask ANYONE who has ordered a set how absolutely poo Team Dynamics customer relations is.

Bill, RobT and Gentlefoot off here all had loads of hassle getting the (right) wheels and they took weeks/months to be delivered [xx(]