Lock barrels and keys

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by Adder, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Adder Forum Member

Afternoon folks,

My car has three different keys for the four locks on the car obviously, there’s been some sort of malarkey in its life . The ign and drivers door are both on the same key. The passenger door and boot are on different keys each having their own separate key.

My question is, is it a doable thing to match the tumblers in the passenger and boot locks to match the ign and drivers lock ? Any help or advice is appreciated thank you

cheers

Adder

2. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Yes it is. It’s relatively easy and there are plenty of YouTube vids on how to do it. Biggest issue is the ignition barrel which has slightly longer, and more of the wafers that define which key operates the barrel. You have the ignition and drivers door to start with so now just have to match the remaining barrels to those. I recently bought a box of wafers off Aliexpress for under a tenner. There are only four different lengths so it is even possible you’ll be able to take your boot and passenger door barrels apart and reposition those to make them work from one key. Look up the vids but if you need anymore help get in touch and will help. Really easy though.

Zender Z20 and Adder like this.
  3. Adder Forum Member

Brilliant reply thank you very much ,

ill check a few vids and have a crack at it, if i get stuck i will give you a shout , thanks once again

regards

Adder

4. watercooled Forum Member

Just to add the tailgate lock is model specific from memory and think it was a bit odd ,it has a detent on the back of the lock,mine was broken and not repairable and with it the CL servo couldn't overcome the resistance so removed it ,knew something was a miss when found the pump hose off !!!!.
    But in reality, I have keys galore, but all my C/L works after a huge amount of time/repair to get there really causes no issue to me with keys.
    cheers and good luck.

5. Adder Forum Member

Good to know ,thank you for your upate

regards

adder

6. Adder Forum Member

Evening folks,

just a little update, i removed all the wafers things from the passenger barrel and started placing them ono by one back into the barrel trying the lock on each occasion . Four of them work ok but the last three wont work in any combination . I hope you can see by the photo. Im probably going to need some extras .

Rustbuster, would you mind posting me a link to where you got yours extra ones from please ?

regards

Adder IMG_0343.jpeg

7. Rustbuster

Will do, I’ll find the link and post it asap. I also sourced a place in the UK that could supply them at a slightly higher cost, I’ll dig their number out too.

8. Adder Forum Member

Lovely thank you

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk3 golf are good donors for spare tumblers+springs in scrappy if you have any local. ignition lock is same as CE2 mk2 but not ce1. possibly the tumblers from ce2/mk3 ignition lock will fit ce1 lock but not tried.

for boot lock they take the same tumblers as door just be aware that cl and non-cl differ if you were getting a full set (you can swap tumblers either way though)

another thign if you have a cl boot lock it has a wee ball bearing and spring for the 3 position click you feel (or not if its gummed up) You can use a CL lock in a non-cl car but not the other way round obv unless you dont mind loosing the cl on the boot of course

10. Adder Forum Member

Thanks for that Jonny , i didn’t know that about the C/l . When i order some ill ask the question

many thanks

11. Rustbuster

These are the ones I bought (screenshot) but yours don’t look worn at all in your photo. They may have been wrong for your key if someone’s perhaps been in there before, or, a really good clean off of all the old grease and re-grease of all the moving parts sorts it as they can start to stick as the old grease loses its lubricity. That actually has worked for me in the past.
    IMG_2104.png

12. Adder Forum Member

Morning folks,

I’ve managed to sign up to Ali express and ordered a bunch of them so hopefully in a few weeks they will turn up and I can get on with it . I’ll let you know how I get on. Have a good weekend

cheers

13. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I had an issue with mine where my new lock set didn’t match my ce1 key but I had a spare barrel so nicked a couple of bits out of that to make the set work

14. Rustbuster

Mine turned up pretty quickly so hopefully yours will do the same. Let us know how you get on?

15. Adder Forum Member

Will do

cheers