Looking for info on AGU 1.8t

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Andrew_Byrne, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Andrew_Byrne New Member

Hi guys,

I know this has probably been asked a good few times now and i can see some info in the threads. But im going to be greedy and ask has anyone who has done this conversion into their mk3 got a full build thread anywhere that i use as a point of refernce as opposed to be a few different ones? Im hoping to undertake this conversion over the winter but doing as much prep work as i can now.

Thanks!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

How do!

First of all what engine have you got in your MK3 at the moment?

3. Andrew_Byrne New Member

Hey,

Ive got an 8v AGG.

Thanks!

4. rubjonny

alrighty so its got the 020 gearbox in it. for starters with 5 speed 02a/j type box you'll need:
    MK3 ABF or TDI front bracket 1H0199273B and rear 1H0199354B or 1H0199354H
    Any 02a gearbox bracket 357199353A
    G60 or 4 cylinder corrado/passat, plus mk3 abf/tdi 228mm flywheel
    Sachs VR6 clutch kit will do for moderate tuning levels
    Hydro clutch master, pipe and slave from mk3 abf, tdi or vr6, fits directly to your pedal box

For shifting side the MK3 abf/tdi/vr6 shifter and cable setup would be a direct fit. or for the well covered late 02j upgrade if you can find one the seat/polo 02j shifter is almost a direct fit in a mk3 just need to drill & tap a hole in the front for the forward mounting (compare it to the old gearstick you'll see) or go full mk4 02j setup and chop out all the brackets underneath plus make up some custom mounts. Not difficult really, and if you never plan to go back to 020 setup no big deal (and who would tbh :lol:)

original running gear will all bolt up fine, stock fuel pump is ok for mild tune 20v if its in good nick, or theres plenty upgrade options you can look at.

6 speed 02M is a fair bit more effort involving custom box bracket, cut n weld cup on subframe, custom shafts so only bother if you REALLY must have 6 speed 02m. you can ask martin emment/hotgolf/gas n gears to build you up an 02S based 6 speed box instead, then it will fit the same as an 02a/j.

wiring wise look here:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...install-faq-now-with-added-dieselness.267196/

5. Andrew_Byrne New Member

Wow, super help thanks for that! Think my AGU has an 02j box. AS for tuning the AGU, I've read a few bits about upgrading the coil packs to R8 cpil packs, upgrading the turbo to KO3s and also injectors? ANy thoughts on this?

Thanks again, cant wait to get started.

6. rubjonny

I've yet to see any hard evidence that changing the coilpacks really helps, unless the originals are bad.

with the AGU these use 3 pin coilpacks and an external ignition amplifier so to fit the 4 pin type internally amped coilpacks you need to modify the loom, its not too hard really buy yourself a DBW coilpack repair harness then swap it over. you need to cut the DBW ECU coilpack trigger pins off it then crimp AGU micro timer pins on to suit the ECU plug. When making your new ECU loom up add the correct 2 pin plug for the DBW coilpack power wire, could salvage the ecu relay box off a mk4 in scrappy and add a fuse inside perhaps then feed it live direct from the battery.

then theres a fat brown which goes to the T10a or T14a on the AGU loom. plus a couple wires for the speedometer sender to the t10/14a if you plan to run the wiring thru that, or you could cut all that out and keep the MK3 speedometer sensor plug, though you may need to swap the sensor on top of the gearbox with earlier square shaped 02a/j type depending on the age of your AGU lump.

Turbo upgrades etc I would find a reputable tuner local first, then see what he recommends/likes to work with. No good chucking a load of nice bits on if the ECU isnt properly setup to cope and you cant find anyone who is willing to work on it