looking for info on the v6 4motion

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by SandyP50, Jun 29, 2010.

1. SandyP50 New Member

Hi

I'm thinking of changing my mk4 gt tdi golf for a slightly newer mk4 v6 4motion. Not that there is anything wrong with my tdi just fancy something with a bit more street cred.

I was wondering is there anything to watch out for on the v6? seen a really tidy one on an 02 plate with only 38k on the clock for 5k

Thanks
    Sandy

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

at 38k it shoud have had the haldex filter and oil changed they now reckon it should be done ever 20k
    listen for clonks from the rear diff and make sure it is running in 4wd
    you need to look for all the normal mk4 falts like suspension bushes top mounts the electric window
    at 5k you sould have lether recaro's
    make sure the air con works
    and mpg is about commute is 20-24 long run 30-35

this is my 4motion below

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197560

3. micky1 Forum Member

I have a bora 4 motion for sale.....:]

great cars but a softer set up than a gti so will need improvements in the handling dept if you wanna hoon it.

4. paulyDMX Forum Member

Agree with the above - Bear in mind though i looked at a lot of low spec dogs before buying mine.

5. greenvr6 New Member

A mate of mine has a lovely one for sale It may be the one on p heads for sale met black no leather air con I know he will be looking for less than 5k and 50 k on the clock all standard exept for a unmarked set of 18 rs4 alloys drop me a pm and i will get him to drop a few photos Ps he is looking for a tdi mk4

6. SandyP50 New Member

I have got 2 to see this weekend. one with leather one without both under 5k. Was also looking at gt tdi 150 performancewise there isn't alot it in.

7. Si16vAnni Forum Member

They only 150 or 170 bhp. Mpg is bad for what u get. Go for a mk4 Gti 1.8T with a ko3/ko3s turbo, remap for 250 quid it and its 190- 210 bhp! you will get alot more for your money

8. paulyDMX Forum Member

V6 4motions aren't the same performance wise as a 150 diesel and they're a lot more than 170bhp. They come with 204!

(which appears to be 34 more)

9. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

150 -170 you are thinking of the v5;)

as above the 4motion has 204
    plus if you get that 250 remap and a milltek
    it is not that far off a standard r32
    it's not called the poor man's r32 nothing
    plus it just looks like any over golf stealth;)

10. SandyP50 New Member

what i'm compairing here is 0 to 60 times the V6 is 7s and the tdi is 8.3s but more importantly is the torque the v6 has 199lb/f and the tdi has 236lb/f. So apart from the v6 being a bit quicker of the line there is not alot in it top end.
    Im really just looking for a fast standard car not really wanting to change that much.

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

c.50bhp from a exhaust and remap. got any proof of that?

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

tbh for something not that much quicker, could you stomach the fuel bill [xx(]

13. paulyDMX Forum Member

V6 0-60 - 6.9s
    150 GTTDI 0-60 - 8.3s

That's 1.4s difference!!! The R32 'only' does it in 6.4s (0.5 quicker than 4motion and the difference feels huge, so nearly 1.5s difference isn't to be sniffed at).

All info from Parkers:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/summary.aspx?model=1031

As for v6 4mo v R32 - I wouldn't really class the 4motion as a poor mans R32 or a baby R32. They're different types of car - the 4mo being a motorway cruiser really. However, just on paper, there's only 34bhp difference (the R is 400cc bigger too), but you could expect around 20bhp from a re-map, then cold air intake, exhaust etc adding a couple more. It won't drive anywhere near the same as the R without some serious work suspension wise though!

If you're looking for economy and cheap fuel bills, then stick with your GTTDI. If you can handle the fuel bills, you can get yourself a lovely, highly specced motor for not much money

14. Si16vAnni Forum Member

For the hassle of selling a car and buying a v6 you can remap the Gttdi from 150 to about 190 bhp, and increase the lbft to about 320. The V6 in my opinion drink far too much for the power you get and cost alot more to tune with very little extra bhp. check out this http://www.r-techpower.co.uk/r-tech-vw-remap.htm. HTH

15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Oil burner torque soon extingushes come 4000rpm. That is the catch. In gear passing will be superior as the petrol will have to drop a cog to keep up, but keep up it will if you now how to drive it.

16. paulyDMX Forum Member

He wants extra street cred though. A big cloud of black smoke does nothing to enhance your image. No matter how many lb/ft you've got!

17. DJUPLIFT Forum Member

I've done every bolt on mod to my v6 and it really is a street weapon if you know what to do with it. If I was to start mine again I'd spend LOTS of money on handling over performance
    R32 arbs are a v good upgrade Audi s3 strut brace and good set of coilies will see to the handling also some rear controll arms to set the camber back in as when you drop it you get excess negative.
    Performance wise I'd stick with the standard airbox drilled out and with a good panel filter. Cat back zorst, cams and finaly map it that will see you to r32 standards and more with a good map

18. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

19. coullstar Forum Member

4mo is the best Mk4 by a mile when all things are considered. Half the cost of an R32 but not half the car. 4wd is superb in winter, sound great, not much goes wrong and normally well specced. Ive had two and only running a Tdi as all I do it sit in traffic with it. If I were to go back to one car I would have a 4mo without a doubt.

20. coullstar Forum Member

Man I want your car!!! Towbar and all, perfect for me.