looking into puttin a abf engine into my mk2 golf

Discussion in '16-valve' started by baker12389, Mar 27, 2013.

1. baker12389 New Member

I have a mk2 golf which is just a shell with a gti rear beam and some front suspension. I also have a mk3 golf 2litre 16v complete car. I am just looking for a basic rundown of what i would require from the mk3 and also what other parts i would need to do the conversion. I have been told by a fellow dubber that i could possibly use all the looms from the mk3 in the mk2 and that the subframe etc can also be bolted in with a little bit of help here and there. all help would be appreciated.

2. Chrisrpal Events Team

This conversion has been done and said so many times..............

We need to know is your MK2 shell a GTI model or driver model etc....? Is it CE1 loom or CE2 loom?

A great base car for the abf 16V engine is the MK2 8V PB digifant with CE2 loom as it's pretty much plug and play.

If your car is CE1 loom then it's a bit harder to do the wiring loom as it's not plug and play into the fuse box unless you change everything to CE2 including fuse box.

I would use whole engine, engine loom (don't need lighting loom), front brakes, down pipe, fuel tank/pump, fuel lines and gearbox if you want cable change.

You also need to decide if you want to keep mk2 clocks and dash or MK3 clocks and dash. You can use MK3 clocks in mk2 dash but I personally prefer the MK2 clocks and dash as it keeps it retro looking.

Also when doing this conversion I would change cambelt, cambelt pully, water pump, crank sensor and ECU sensor as those causes alot of issues on the abf, mainly the crank sensor. Also the plug in loom around the engine can have problems with the wires to the throttle switch which causes issues.

Also don't forget about VAG-com and if you want to use the abf ECU uinless you want to go megasquirt like what toyotec has done and many others. Only down side is your MAF won't work.

I am sure many will post on here.

Try doing a search on this engine build and read what others have done. :thumbup:

Plus see Toyotecs thread, it's very good.

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.p...e-in-your-Mk2-Golf-Revisit-of-KJet-car-180610

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  3. DuBAndy Forum Member

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if its just a shaell then you could use all the mk3 running gear, exhaust you need mk2. if you use the mk3 gearbox then its a case of corrado/passat pedal box for hydro clutch, or seat cable actuator parts. if you want rod shift 020 gearbox you need all linkages and stick from mk2 1.6-1.8 manual.

loom wise its a close fit, some tweaks are required for the engien loom to fit nicely but no big deal. if you fit the mk3 dash then sorted, if you want mk2 dash then you'll want mk2 CE2 dash loom for an easy life. you'll need ce2 ignition housing, fusebox carrier and clocks, the rese ce1 or ce2 will do but make sure light switch is 11 pin. rear loom use mk3 some small mods will be required but not much. can use mk3 fuel tank, lines and filter carrier.

front seats will go in with 1 leg cut off and rewelded, rears you'll need to weld the middle bracket in before they will fit properly, may need to trim parcel shelf supports may not.

5. baker12389 New Member

cheers guys, i have a mk2 seats to go into it. The mk2 had no wiring looms at all and i want to keep the mk2 daso so i would need to look into getting the mk2 loom. pedal boxes i can get hold of easily so that shouldn't be a problem if i need one of them. thanks for the help so far. I am new to all this so any help is gr8

6. twolitrepinto Forum Member

with front seats you can just swap the bases and backs onto mk2 subframes, if they still exist that is, this is what i will be doing.
    i am in the same boat also i have a mk2 1.6 driver which is Late 89, JUST CE2 with hazard switch on top of column. and a complete mk3 16v but on 020 box which i kind of like :-)

i am planning on using absolutely everything from mk3 that i can, incuding ABS and PAS, but keeping mk2 dash and clocks if poss.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

only if the seats are 90spec though, if pre-90 they wont fit. other issue is you're left with holes in the trim for the gubbins tray and side height adjust handle, if that bothers you. if the mk3 seats are recaro then you'll have to chop the leg as they're different to mk2 seats, unless you like the look of mk2 base fabric with mk3 recaro backrest fabric ;)

8. baker12389 New Member

i have mark 2 seats spare to go in. but will probably run bucket seats anyway