looks like insurance is trying to shaft me again

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by pacifica112, Apr 11, 2007.

1. pacifica112

pacifica112 Forum Member

I was in an accident in january in my mk2 golf. I was sat with the full front end of my car in the lane sat in traffic. We were on the way to go bowling with my fiance and her sister when next thing i know a taxi comes down the road and smacks the front of me. There is hardly any damage to the car really (you know how well their built). just a dent in the wing and a bit of a scuff on the bumper. I pulled the car off the road and got out to speak to him.

Both the driver and his taxi said they didnt see me for the sun being in their eyes but still said it was my fault. hmmmm. Dont really make sense to me. Told my insurance as soon as i could and they logged it all and they were happy with all the info.

3 monhs later and my insurance company are saying its my fault. I dont know how. I was sat still, established in the lane and someone hits me but its all my fault. I am fighting it at the minute but my insurance arent helping at all. I have been told 6 times that someone would ring me and let me know whats happening and no one does, im told people have sent me letters but nothing arrives. whats the point in me paying 1300 a year to get nothing back in return.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

mix up in communications.

get back intouch with them and tell what you want. they take instructions from you.

i take it the other guy is claiming for repairs yeah?

3. pacifica112

pacifica112 Forum Member

yeah he is claiming for damage. he and his passenger are also claiming for personal injury as well.its stupid though because it took him 2 weeks before he decided that he was injured. It was only about a 5 mph accident too. no one in my car was hurt. I rang up and told my insurance what they said about not seeing me because of the sun but their still not helping me at all. its a beyond a joke really.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

have you filled in an accident report form for your insurer?

5. pacifica112

pacifica112 Forum Member

yep i have filled that out, had a guy from my insurance take statements from me, my fiance and her sister, had a guy come look at my car and everything. they agreed with me that it was his fault but now for all of a sudden they dont want to argue it and are willing for it to go as my fault.

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ask your insurance company to confirm exactly why they feel they should concede liability. and NOT to concede liability without consulting you first.

they may have totally got the wrong end of the stick

in short, though, if your insurer has no hope at all in your version of events, they can take authority of the matter and concede liability for you, but without prejudice to your uninsured loss claim.

who is your insurer anyway ?

7. pacifica112

pacifica112 Forum Member

Im with admiral. they have been superb when the accident first happened but nw they just seem to be rolling over to the other insurance companies demands. I got loads of pics of the scene, pics of the damage to my car, a full explanation of what happened. the reason they say they will accept liability is because the passenger says its my fault even though she said she didnt see what happened. Im in the military so that proves im a bit more trust worthy than the taxi driver lol. I told them that if they are gonna take their word for it i want to take the other side to court and argue it out there.

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

haha @ trustworthy

ive known a fair few people in the military, wouldnt trust them as far as i could throw them.

if youre a copper, they courts go gooey and beleive everything you say. i had a military lorry driver once who was like the terminator, he recalled every single detail from an accident that was 4-5 years ago. that was impressive.

the other guy is a taxi driver, but will most likely have a fare on board, who will be an indepentant witness.

when youre on the phone to them next, ask to speak to the claim handler rather than the people on customer service, and then talk over the accident circs.

usually its the other way round. theyre all a bunch of company boys who wanna save 200 here and there so will fight it to the death and incur thousands in costs lol

9. pacifica112

pacifica112 Forum Member

well i do know a few people like that but it all depends what trade they are. yeah the woman was a fare. thats the problem. ath the time she says she didnt see what happened because of the sun but now she is saying its my fault. I wouldnt mind if i was pulling out on him but its the fact i wasnt moving lol. I have asked to speak to the claim handler and every time they said they would ring me back. I have had to ring them back 6 times before i got to speak to him. when i did he said he was just reading my file and would ring me back. yet again no one rang me back. i had to make a complaint before anyone would listen and then all they did was send me a letter. its a right pain in the a**e.its because they see 22yr old driving a modified golf.

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ask for his email address. when you call back next, ask for his extension number... its easy to work out his direct number from that ;)

they will have upwards of 200 files, hence the delay in getting back to you... i doubt its because they hate your guts or anything lol

just keep trying to get in contact and talk to them about it.

11. Matt G Forum Member

if they dont call you back, talk to their superior, bombard them with calls they will sort it just to get you off phone.

if they couldnt see for the sunshine, should'nt the taxi driver has slowed to an appropriate speed - thats what they teach you in highway code aint it - not carry on blindly.

I dont understand how they can consider it to be your fault if you were already established in the lane, that just dont make sense.

i work with a guy who used to work in car insurance, and my lass had a similar incident (she had to go onto pavement on her side of road to avoid a lorry who still went into her car - and yet the driver of that lorry wants to go 50/50 on the claim - he can f*** off n'all!) - his advice is harrass the insurance company, and if you know you are in the right - yet your insurance company accept fault on your behalf threaten to take legal action against them.

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

oh yes, the word 'complain' will get you very far too. i used to work for the in-house solicitors to one of the world's major insurers lol was always fun

13. pacifica112

pacifica112 Forum Member

the stupid thing is that when i had my statement taken for the my insurance company thats what the guy said to me. he said that he should have slowed down because of not being able to see.he even wrote that it was his fault but for some reason they are siding with the other side because the passenger in the taxi is classed as a third party witness. its all rubbish really.in the pics i took it showed the damage on the road from where his indicator broke, the road layout, damage to my car and i even took a picture of what the weather was like to prove you couldnt see properly.

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

well there is usually more of a reason to it than that. i dont know if youre blagging or not and tbqf it makes no odds to me.

tell your insurer you dont want liability conceded.

if they feel your version of events is utterly hopeless (and they dont give up easily) then they will just pay out the other side's claim to stop the amount of time being wasted.

taxi driver's do like their claim, the fares dont tho, not worth the hassle, unless theyre claiming injury. if the fare is claiming injury (and who isnt nowadays) then youre up the creek

15. pacifica112

pacifica112 Forum Member

yeah the taxi driver and the passenger are both claimig for injury. it too the taxi driver 11 days to realise that he was injured. Im deadly serious about whats going on. its stupid.

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

not usual at all for it to be 11 days.

would be definately clasified as an odd file when someone drives into a stationary car and claims the stationary car was at fault.... i think we're missing a LOT of the story here. if not, you shouldnt be so deadly worried.

17. pacifica112

pacifica112 Forum Member

no thats all of the story. the reason im so worried is i have had problems with insurance in the past. someone hit me while going round a roundabout. he came from the right of me on a three lane roundabout and hit behind my drivers door and said i should have gave way. that took me nearly 2 years to sort out and i ended up threatening to take them to court about it. hate insurance but you gotta pay it aint you lol

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

well are you meant to give way to the right on a roundabout lol

19. Matt G Forum Member

if they concede - tell them its fine by you - on condition your insurance record does not reflect this. tell them you do not concede liability. remind them who pays the extortionate premium - and if they are anybodies ***** they should be yours. threaten - nay, promise legal action and threaten to ring up watchdog. make it known that you wont go away if they dont back you up.

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

it is only in extreme circumstances that a third party can claim against your policy withouy your NCB being effected.

that will never work.

if his version of events is so hopeless that the insurer want rid asap, they can rely on part of the policy wording that gives the insurer the ultimate decission..... youll most likely find the wording at the bottom of your accident report form that i expect youve completed and signed.

if the above was possible, any one could dispute liability to save their NCB and take the insurer to the cleaners. the insurers basically cover 99.5% of eventualities.

in short... they wont be conceding unless your version of events is completely pants