Loss of electrical power

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by monkeyarmada, Feb 20, 2011.

1. monkeyarmada

monkeyarmada New Member

Hi, tonight the 8v gave me a bit of a fright, coming off a island at speed the car suddenly banged a couple of times, dash lights, headlights etc. went out for a second and then picked back up and carried on as if nothing had happened. Any ideas as to what this could have been?

I'm guessing the banging was the tranny getting a hammering from the sudden reversal of load and then bump starting the engine back to life, that suggests to me that I had an ignition failure of some kind. Could it be the ignition switch playing up? Or something like the ECU relay?

What would be the best place to start investigating?

Cheers

S.

2. nealey Forum Junkie

What car is it?

3. monkeyarmada

monkeyarmada New Member

Ah yeah, that would help. :thumbup:

MK3 Golf (96) 8v 2.0l

Having adjusted my search a little it looks like it might be a ECU relay, symptoms sound similar.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sounds more liek the ignition switch chap. if it was the ecu relay the dash would not be effected

5. monkeyarmada

monkeyarmada New Member

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I found a solution to the intermittent power loss problem, might help if people search for this kind of problem in the future.

The smaller power lead from the positive battery terminal had worked itself loose, causing the power to drop out under hard cornering or larger bumps in the road.

S.

6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Don't apologise for bumping this. Closing out a thread with the solution is extremely valuable to future searchers/readers, and sadly lacking in a heavy percentage of threads.

:thumbup: