Loss of power, clutch pedal rattle and exhaust?

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Rumel2011, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Rumel2011 New Member

Hi guys new to the site and was wondering if anyone can help!

I recently purchased a mk4 golf 1.8t, earlier today I was parked and my exhaust noise started burbling a little like a motor bike, after I set off it still sounded like it's burbling and the car seems like it's got a loss in power?

I put it in 5th gear at 40 and when my foot down fully on gas noticed the clutch pedal was shaking, going to have a look in morning but was wondering if anyone's comes across this before and what problem I should be looking out for?

There are no lights on the dash and the temp etc was fine, only drove it half a mile home and switched engine off straight away.

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Does it feel like its running on 3 cylinders ?

The most common cause for this is coilpack failure on 1.8T's, but normally you'll get a flashing warning light on thr dash.

Might be worth getting it scanned on VAGCOM if you know of anyone local.

3. Rumel2011 New Member

I don't have anyone near with vag-com

It does sound like misfire but no warning lights on dash, would it be safe to drive for another 20 miles before replacing coil packs?

4. shaboy New Member

Quick check will be to unplug each coil in turn, if the engine starts to miss more the its not that coil, if you unplug one and the engine runs exactly the same then there's your answer ;)

Is it a standard exhaust? From what you're saying, if the exhaust note has changed when you noticed the loss of power, wondering if the cat or silencer innards have collapsed and blocking your pipes a bit?

Richard Mk2 likes this.
  5. Rumel2011 New Member

No it's got a full miltek exhaust with a decat. I will try unplugging one by one, cheers

6. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Try No.3 first.

7. kellyclan

kellyclan Forum Member

where abouts are you mate??

8. Rumel2011 New Member

Hi I live in Howden now, just took the car to smashing vw's in Leeds, they hooked it on vag-com and said nothing at all is coming up,the only thing it could be is a air leak on one of the pipes!

They can smoke test the pipes to try trace the leak at 40, but didn't have time to today.

I still think even with an air leak why would the car be misfiring.

9. shaboy New Member

You'll be fueling for what ever air is going through the maf, if some air is getting out before the TB you'll be getting too much fuel in the cylinders.

To check for air leaks you can put some water and washing up liquid in a squirt bottle and spray it on all joins etc, if you get bubbles you've got a leak.

10. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Not if it's a vacuum leak

11. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Clutch shake could be dual mass flywheel. It can feel like a misfire as well as the engine can shake espicially at idle

12. Rumel2011 New Member

Thank for the help guys, went to smashing vdubs again and 82 shorter it's fixed!

Turns out it was the ignition amplifier!

13. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Glad you sorted it :thumbup:

I should of asked you what engine code it was. (AGU by the sounds of it). I've had one fail on me in the past in the MK2 and it was running really bad.

14. Rumel2011 New Member

Yes mate agu is engine code