Loss of power

Discussion in 'Jetta/Vento/Bora' started by stella, Feb 28, 2010.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I've had lots of jobs done on the Bora, mostly sorted. I was told that after having the exhaust/cat replaced, it should have a bit more power.

Marginally, perhaps, but I am conncerned about the lack of power. I have to change down all the time, even going up- a slight slope. It really feels like the clutch is slipping, but I can't hear it or smell it, so I don't think it's that.

I've never had a diesel car before, but I would have thought a 1900cc diesel would be more powerful than my 1.6 21 year old Driver, but it's not. It's done 145k but doesn't seem to burn much oil. It's OK round town, but hopeless elsewhere.

Is there anything else I should check out? Or is it really this pathetic? I know that it's really a Mk4 Golf and they were a bit sad, but is this all I can expect?

2. nealey Forum Junkie

Have you had it scanned for trouble codes?

Most common thing on a mk4 for lack of power is air flow meter but they rarely show up as a fault, if you know somebody with vagcom they should be able to check the readings of it

3. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Thanks - I'll get that checked out.

4. coalville dub Forum Member

get them to check the vacume pipes my astra was like that one of the pipes had a hole in

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^ yep my vectra had a vac pipe that had gone brittle at the end and come off - was some sort of re-circulation thing for the turbo iirc and it was real sluggish. Popped it back on with bit of leccy tape and it was miles better.

even if you have the 110bhp model, it should still put really well compared to a 1.6 mk2

6. coalville dub Forum Member

true the astra's only 100bhp it'd give the old mk3 a good run for it's money . i can have a quick look sunday if you want. rip are you anywere near the magpie?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  7. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Thanks, Rob. I wouldn't even know where to look for a vacuum pipe. It looks so different from my Golf when I lift the bonnet that I take one look and put it down again!

8. coalville dub Forum Member

no prob's we'll have a look sunday

9. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Problem resolved by Rob (Coalville Dub) at our meet, where he spotted the hole in the vacuum pipe, went to Halfords to get a new one, then came back to the meet and fitted it for me in the pub car park!

He's now moved up to first place in my VW driver Top Ten :)

Thanks, Rob - it's like driving a different car!

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

yeah, those engines are pretty simple things really. mpg should improve big time too

youd do yourself a favour by going over those hoses with a fine tooth comb to find any other grmlins

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

when mine went I thought the turbo was goosed as it had such little power, was so chuffed when it was just a vac hose.

Not so much when the turbo exploded 2 months later though

12. coalville dub Forum Member

just trying to help a fellow duber lol i carnt get my head round the fact you know my mum

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

is that because its hard to accept you fancy one of your mum's mates? its ok to fancy one of your friend's mum so i cant see why this would be any different [:D]

14. coalville dub Forum Member

It was mad because my mum only came to see grandkids and she spotted Stella and it turned out they worked together for a while. lol

15. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Yes, what a surprise that was. Your Mum is one of about half a dozen - definitely no more - intelligent people at my ex-workplace. People with brains there are a rarity, believe me!

lol at Matt :lol:

16. martinoheat New Member

does anyone have a diagram or checklist of the hoses that i can go through? iv got patchy performance - sometimes it just doesn't go.

iv read somewhere else too that it may be vac hoses. anyone help me out?

cheers!

17. stella

stella Forum Junkie

When you take the cover off, they're at the back, near the windscreen, if that helps. I'll take a photo of mine later on for you, though I expect they're in the Haynes Manual of Lies, if you have one.

18. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

just take the cover off, and follow every hose that isn't big enough to be carrying water or air (boost pipes) and check the whole length of them. mine had knackered one's after 4 years old

19. stella

stella Forum Junkie

It's happening again, this loss of power [:^(]

I've checked the vac hoses again and they all seem to be fine, but yesterday, going up the long hill to Ashby on teh A42, I had exactly the same pathetic power as before replacing the hose.

So what else should I be checking? (I put some ASDA diesel in yesterday morning - could that be the problem?)

20. coalville dub Forum Member

could be one of the other pipe's when's the next meet
    you should have rang me that's 2 min's from me