Loud sound when in reverse or when car rolls backwards

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by VdubGal2087, Mar 28, 2019.

1. VdubGal2087 New Member

So I’m getting my 20th back on the road after almost two years of it sitting in the garage and everything is great the only issue I’m having right now is figuring out why it makes this loud awful noise when reversing or when the car rolls back. The sound is like very loud low pitch squeal. I know I need new wheel bearings which will get done in the next few weeks and I’m not sure if that could be causing this awful sound or if it’s something else... has anyone else had this issue or know what it could be?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

If it's bearings , it should do it in both directions . A backplate touching a brake disc?

3. VdubGal2087 New Member

Took the wheels off today to see. Both in the rear make the noise pretty loud going backward but very faintly where you can barely hear it going forward. Calipers aren’t seized or anything like that. No backplate touching the brake disc or anything. Gunna change out the bearings and pray that’s what’s doing it I guess

4. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

Just be sure to test for the noise at each stage, ie release handbrake; test, remove brake calliper; test and so on.
    As Tristan said bearings are usually borked in both directions, keep looking for witness marks as you delve in, you might not need to replace the bearings just remove a rusty lip from the friction surfaces or something.