Lowered Mk3 Rubbing 60/40 Standard Wheels

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by MarsRed8v, Jun 16, 2011.

1. MarsRed8v New Member

Hello everyone,
    I have a 3door 16v mk3,
    just fitted some "JOM" springs and shocks that are -60mm front and -40mm rear (adjustable with circlip). Just wondered if anyone has a similar setup and whether or not it should rub as mine does.
    At relatively low speeds (like car park speeds) the fronts rub when turning and the backs will rub over some bumps. The rears were actually raised one notch when fitting as the car was basically on it ****!
    I used to have a 5door 16v lowered 40mm all round with no probs at all.
    Am running standard 15" wheels,
    any help would be greatly appreciated as was told this was a popular setup so didn't expect any issues. My fault for being naive probably.

2. King_Jay Forum Member

Hey there. Are you sure you are measuring it correctly? taking into account that the coilovers are alread about -20mm when they are wound to the top? I have Jom coilovers on my 3door 16V and it's dropped roughly 100mm on the front and I only just scrape on full lock when I go over a little bump! here is a pic of mine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Sounds like he`s got a fixed kit though...

OP; What size tyres do you have?

4. King_Jay Forum Member

I just saw adjustable [:D]

5. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Im currently running a 60/40 fixed drop kit. Standard 15's with 205/55's and no rubbing.
    I suspect your drop is lower as the other guys suggest.

6. rankadoodle Forum Member

Try adding VR6 top mounts. They are beefier, if 8v and 16v use the same mount that is. vr6 mount will raise it. What is you're tire size. You could also get a tire 5-10 less of first number (width) any more than that is stretching.

7. MarsRed8v New Member

Thanks for the replies,
    been told by the seller that for some reason the JOM kits on the mk3 seem too come up lower than stated. Is more likely an 80/60 than a 60/40. Got them off ebay but the seller is a proper shop and is sending me some -40mm front springs free of charge (cant argue with that) and the rears are adjustable by a circlip anyway.
    Its a shame really though because it looks wicked with the current drop but just not ready for any arch work to make them fit properly!
    The ride is actually really good aswell (when the wheels are not hammering the arches!).

8. MarsRed8v New Member

Hi King_jay
    Just looking at your car (looks sweet by the way)!
    It looks about the same drop that mine is at the moment so Im guessing that the measurements on the kit I brought were done on a friday afternoon by an apprentice who didnt know which end of the ruler to hold!
    Hopefully getting sorted this saturday and will post some pics.

9. DUBmk3 New Member

king jay.. you say that u dropped 100mm at the front wat is ur drop at the back?

10. JoeyVdub New Member

im on H&R cups. i rub sometimes. just gotta go slow. if you aint rubbing your not dubbing

11. King_Jay Forum Member

Sorry for the delay and thanks for your comment ;) I'm sure it's 100mm but it was a while ago when I measured it and you've got me doubting myself now :p but it's atleast 80mm! I will have a measure again at the weekend just to me sure but I've seen someone elses who's was 100mm drop and mine looked lower [:s] I'll post my measurements at the weekend.

I haven't actually measured the backs [:D] so I'll say the same to you.....I'll measure at the weekend and let ya know [:*:]

12. DUBmk3 New Member

Would be waiting to hear your drop sizes..front and back!
    Did you spray your alloys yourself cus im thinking of refurbing mine..[:[] ive been shopping around for a pair of deepdish alloys but by looking at your it suits. i wouldnt of thought about doing that to mine:thumbup: this could solve spenting money on alloys and spenting else where on my dub. got to say your dub is sweet.

13. King_Jay Forum Member

Cheers dude! Yeah I sprayed them myself. Just used Satin Black paint from Halfords :thumbup: Gave them a lil sanding to key the standard paint. Then sprayed with grey primer and then the Satin Black. I've changed them again but don't have any pics atm. I'll sort that out tomorrow too. Saves a hell of a lot of money!

14. DUBmk3 New Member

well i think i be doing the same m8.. sand, prime and be using technik black. Was meant to be ordering my springs this mouth but had to put the the dub in garage.. need aliitle bit of work doing.. new door hinges, driver door membrane, breather tube..also a new hand brake switch cus the light always on.. its cost me over 400[:^(] kiss good by to my springs this mouth same with refurbing my standard alloys also.. well just have to wait:( just woundering if you found out your drop measurements front and back? cheers m8

15. BOB 79 Forum Member

Hi there king jay what are the jom coilovers like for day to day use. Thinking of getting some but don`t know anyone who has them. cheers

16. King_Jay Forum Member

I know what being caught out by required car parts is like! took me ages to save for my coilies haha. I took measurements but I need to find my data sheet with the travel values to know what drop the back is but the front has 35mm of thread left under the sring seat so with the fact the full drop on the front is -20 with no adjustment to -120 full drop it works out to about 85mm. There is 50mm left on the back thread but I don't think the total drop is the same without finding my data sheets.

Hey BOB70. If I where to be completely honest I would tell you that for the money I have been quite impressed with them BUT I can tell differences to some of the more expensive coilovers on the market. The dampening from the shock absorbers is quite soft so the car is prone to 'bouncing' over bumps, i.e. when the car is travelling down there is quite a bit of travel, which has caused me to scrap my splitter a few times. Saying that you can throw it around corners without it rolling all over the place. If you can wait to spend a bit more on coilovers that's hat i'd suggest but if not then all I can say is that mine have done me proud :thumbup: oh and mine is a daily so they get a good using.

17. BOB 79 Forum Member

Nice one cheers, think i`ll give them a go.