lowering springs- interchangable within manufactures?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by themaskedweasel, Nov 14, 2010.

1. themaskedweasel New Member

Hi all, new to forum- just bought an '88 16v mk2 (lots of issues, so expect lots of posts lol)
    car is on fk springs and shocks (non coilover). previous owner said they were -60mm front and rear. as I live in Devon and drive back roads, this is too low and hard for me. as these aren't standard shock towers, do I have to use fk springs only? would like the eibach pro springs, anyone know if these will fit? also can't seem to find these online in -40 for a 16v, only -20? they seem to do -40 in 8v gti only?
    great forum by the way, found lots of help already on here, only had the car 4 days......:thumbup:
    thanks in advance

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

you only get -20mm because the 16v is all ready10-20 lower than the 8v
    so they will be the same hight in fact the rear spring are the same on both 8v and 16v
    on eibach pro springs it's only the fronts that are diffrent due to the weight of the engines

this is my 16v on -20mm eibach pro springs

if you car just has fk lowering springs the eibach pro springs should fit

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  3. themaskedweasel New Member

oh ok cool, that makes perfect sense! sweet car, what size tyres are you running? I'm on 195/45/16" 8.5j bbs', guess I could fit at least 205's if I went with the -20mm drop?
    thanks for the fast reply