Lupo 085 gearbox rebuild cost/ease

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by G60KG, Apr 13, 2023.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Just bought a lupo with a dead gearbox. I’m tempted to strip it down an rebuild it depending on what bits I need to buy. Is there a definitive list of parts needed for a rebuild?

pic below shows what little oil it had left in it with some shiny flecks of gear material. 2CF95254-150D-4AB8-8FF7-160A724743DA.jpeg

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Got to better off getting a recon one? Where are you based?

3. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Im in Slough. It was a tempting idea to do it as a learning exercise if the cost of the parts were financially viable.

I see there are bearing repair kits. Is that all that really fails or is that not known until its stripped. Basically makes a lot of clanking when the wheels are turned even in neutral and can barely manage to get it into 2nd or 3rd. Also obviuously there was no oil

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  4. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Give Helical Gearboxes in Forest Hill a call. They were really helpful when our Fiat needed a new box. Cheaper than all the rest and great service.

5. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I'll check them out, thanks

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Strip it, what’s to lose? I have rebuilt one of these, and its pretty obvious why they fail , compared to 020’s etc
    Jon

7. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Can you enlighten me as to why they fail? And am I likely to be looking at replacing syncros or is things like bearings etc

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

I'm no gearbox expert, and this is from memory about 10 years ago, but compare the twin taper rollers either side of the diff pinion
    on the 020 to the 085 pinion support arrangement...
    My view is the differential (pun intended) expansion between the case and the pinion supports on the 085
    is the main weakness of the 085 , when compared to the 020.
    I dismissed running a competition car on an 085 after rebuilding one (not a difficult job)
    Jon