LV= Half Marathon

Discussion in 'Greenlight Insurance' started by 1990, Feb 2, 2015.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I just saw some pictures on your Facebook page.

I love running, I wondered which of your staff are running and what sort of times are they expecting?

Cheers

Ian

2. Tony@Greenlight

Tony@Greenlight Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting.

The LV= half marathon is in the town where most of us live and there's 4 of us running (Daniel, Paul, Barry and myself) this year.

For me it's my first marathon of any kind. I've worked in an office environment all of my professional life and exercise wise, I had tended to combine this with activities (swimming, cycling, football etc) with my three children over recent years.

Running wise, I started out with the proven route of 'couch to 5k' and then as I got more into distance and nutrition, went onto using Endomondo. I tend to run about 20 miles a week these days, so not big distances, but enough to keep fairly fit.

In terms of a time, i'd been training well, but picked up an injury in December that meant I couldn't train properly until mid January and have been building up again. Over shorter distances (5 miles) i'm currently averaging around 8.20min/mile and over the half marathon i'll probably average around a 9 min/mile.

I tend to run with music in my ears though, which is something that I can't do for the half marathon due to country lanes, so i'll have to see how that goes.

Daniel is probably our fastest runner at Greenlight, he's ran the London Marathon for the last 3 years and is currently averaging around 7.30 min/mile.

The LV= event clashes with an event for a well known tuner (Mountune) who we've looked after for years, so quite a few of our people are heading there. But as a firm we deal with LV and there's still four of us running the half marathon.

Thanks again for checking out our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/GreenlightInsurance , we don't tend to talk too much about Insurance on there and you'll see plenty of photo's of our customers cars, as well as our own cars and projects on there.

You'll also see we're restoring (including left to right hand drive conversion) a MK1 Golf GTi (Helios Blue), which we purchased last summer and hope to have back on the road by April/May.

Hope all's well with you.

Kind regards

Tony

P.S. Any tips or inspiration you have for Marathon/Half marathon's are welcomed and will be gratefully appreciated

1990 likes this.
  3. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds great :thumbup:

I've only done one half myself, that was the Lancaster half. I went off to fast thinking I was Mo Farah and pretty much burned out after 8 miles. The rest was a struggle and most of the people I overtook earlier on went back past me lol

I finished in about 1:54 after hoping for around the 1:30 Mark. Still great fun though.

I'm signing up for the Manchester Bupa10k, I think that's more my distance and I'll be aiming for atound 42/43 minutes if I can get a clear run.

I'm also looking at a Mk5 so will give you a call soon :)