Manual steering rack conversion!?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Track-Day-ABF, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Track-Day-ABF Forum Member

Hi all,
    Advice needed!
    When converting a MK3 ABF to manual steering I believe I can use the MK2 rack with the Quaife quick rack conversion?
    BUT
    I heard a mutter somewhere that I need the track rods from an old Passat?
    Can anyone shed any light on the details of this conversion or point me at a thread I must have missed.
    This must be a common conversion but I can't for the life of me find any details in the forum.
    HELP!!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

all you need are mk3 golf manual track rods, you can use either a mk3 or mk2 manual rack. :)

3. murph81 Forum Member

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

My money is on you converting it back to powered, after you have tried non assisted..

5. Track-Day-ABF Forum Member

Converting back

It's not a road car (even though it's road legal) so power steering, air con, abs, inlet maifold, etc. all surplus to requirements.
    it's a MK3 so I'm trying to make it little less of a lard ****!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  6. murph81 Forum Member

I wouldn't remove the pas, that is one comfort that you should keep!

There are other places where you can cut down on weight, plexiglass windows, lighter wheels, lighter seats, rear wiper, remove any metal or brackets that are no longer in use, spot weld drill is good for this!

Bonnet and boot locks, pins and straps can be used here to save a bit of weight aswell.

I wouldn't be too well up on mk3's but I'd say theres plenty of info on here regarding track orientated mk3's.

7. Track-Day-ABF Forum Member

That's all allready done Murph! it's not even got a fan let alone a heater matrix and i'm now working on weight reduction under the bonnet - even looking at using that slovak chaps GRP panels.
    Have you ever driven a 50's triumph on worm and peg with a racing steering wheel! the Golf on manual won't be a problem:lol:
    Out of interest ----
    Which ITB set up are you looking at, I'm just about to start working on that myself!
    Looking hard at quad bike carbs vs jenvey dth vs dcoe and coming up jenvet at the mo
    Chris

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  8. murph81 Forum Member

I have a set of Jenveys for my abf, thats what I would go with, I think its the tidiest setup but I can't comment on how they run because I have yet to fit the engine.

Don't know what else to say about the weight, what did they do with the VW Cup cars and other motorsport mk3's?

What exhaust are you using?

9. Track-Day-ABF Forum Member

I've no idea about what they did on the cup cars to be honest but I'm planning to get the shell seam welded, braced and caged.
    Luckily I inherited a decent exhaust with the car but i'm concerned about the back box banging on the rear arb to suspension mount. Putting a decent 4 2 1 manifold on once I can find one! with a high flow cat.
    Who are you looking at for you head P&P work?

10. murph81 Forum Member

Have a look at Powersprint exhausts, top class stuff in fairness, they do high flow cats and other custom exhaust bits if you need to modify your backbox setup.

I won't be getting any headwork done for a while, want to get the car running well and then paint it first!

11. Track-Day-ABF Forum Member

Powersprint

I might need to call them
    No sign of an ABF manifold on their site...
    Also i'm just down the road from JanSpeed

12. murph81 Forum Member

Just checked there, surprised they haven't got one listed.

Do Janspeed make one for the ABF?

13. Track-Day-ABF Forum Member

JanSpeed will make whatever you need (and port match it)

14. murph81 Forum Member

Handy, only up the road too!

I wouldn't be to sure about portmatching though, I thought it was better to have the manifold side bigger all round to reduce any exhaust going back up into the head?