Mapping a M3.8.3 ecu

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by nut 20v, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Prawn Forum Member

I don't believe you can no.

I run the stock AGU 02 sensor and an additional one for my AEM WB display.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

As above.
    In an OEM binary sensor, the exhaust gas exchange with oxygen, is referenced with the ambient air on the outside of the sensor and forms a sensor response voltage characteristic as below:

[​IMG]

NB

a = Air Deficiency (rich)
    b = Excess air (Lean)

Based on this characteristic, the ECU is able to regulate injection, to operate the exhaust gas in a +/- 5% rich or lean condition for catalyst efficiency, exactly in the non linear areas!

Below is a the feedback trace of how the lambda voltage oscillates.

[​IMG]

In the case where the mean of this trace is not 0.45v or lambda 1 during engine operation, the ECU can apply a fuel correction within +/- 25%.
    Over time an adaptation can be set to compensate for small fuel errors and general sensor aging.
    Also not all sensors have the same response curves in the lean and rich non linear parts of the characteristic.

With this system, the ECU can actually pretty much determine stoich lambda in part load closed loop. Therefore open loop lambda can be calculated, by applying a mapped % offset for conditions such as:

WOT
    Component protection
    Starting
    Cold driving and warm up.

Because the oxygen in the exhaust gas is mapped to this curve via a voltage, the linear output from an aftermarket lambda controller, programmed to output 0-1v, would not be a suitable input to the OE ECU.

Prawn's suggestion is a good one

HTH :thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    erreesse likes this.
  3. ben mk2 Forum Member

^^^^^ is why I love this forum!! People actually know what they're talking about! Got another boss to weld in was just wondering if I could just run the one lambda. No probs tho and thanks for the info! Where are you based Toyotec? Do you do mapping???

4. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

love these threads, learn something new each day...certainly helps with direction on if to hybrid turbo or go K04 on the AGU... i'm assiming this is all
    [/QUOTE]

Whats the sort of turnaround for this type of mapping

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Depends on which one it is.
    If it is a flash able one, it can take 3 hours.
    If it is one with a PLCC44 chip, it will passed on.

erreesse likes this.
  6. Matt-T New Member

I am in the same boat, AGU with a KO3s in need of mapping and i am finding not many places will touch it.
    06A 997 018 TX is the OE number for the ECU according to Audi, i need to take it out the car to see if there is any other markings on it, just incase it has been replaced.