Max Boost On G60 Pistons??

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Si'sDub, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Si'sDub Forum Member

As the title suggests, i was wondering what sort of boost the g60 pistons can take before they'll melt, as i am building a 16v turbo and am not sure if they're up to the job??

2. Si'sDub Forum Member

anyone know at all?

3. theboymike Forum Junkie

Think you'll run into problems with the compression ratio being stupidly low if you use a 16v head.. it's reputidly around 8.5:1 using normal 8v pistons.

4. g60gerry Paid Member Paid Member

nah , you'll be alright with the G60 PISTONS, the only problem the limt for the will be in the 1.8bar range 'give or take a psi, but by the time you get to just 1.1bar your valver should be in the region of 265bhp .....which shoud be good enough for a fast road car.

5. _Monkey Forum Member

Well i'm running a turbo'd g60 and was told that I could go a max of about 1.2 bar before I start melting pistons.

I'm currently well under 1 bar (about 10psi) and achieving 220-230bhp on an 8v G60, like gerry said, 1.1 should be more than enough, especially on a 16v G60.

6. g60gerry Paid Member Paid Member

Hi g60dave , whats the spec's on your motor ,sounds like its a beast!, Is that' what its making at just 10 psi . That i would say is the right way to set up a car ,min boost with reliable power.

7. _Monkey Forum Member

Hi mate, yeah she is a little frantic at times, especially the torque-steer!

The current spec is; IHI VF22 Turbo, J & R Cone filter, big valve head, std bottom end, std g60 intercooler, Flowed inlet manifold, Custom Jabba remap, Jetex full stainless system.

The head made a huge difference, I've actually had to turn the boost down as I was running just under 14psi with less power before the head. But it's not mapped properly at the mo so I thought it safer this way.

I'm actually taking it off the road at the end of the month so I can put in some 83mm, 1900 pistons (along with the usualy bottom end tweeks) and raise the compression to 9:1 to achieve more power from less boost. I'm aiming for 300 ish bhp and similar torque.

I'd also highly reccomend a HUGE intercooler, the std G60 one is nowhere near big enough.

8. Polo Classic Forum Member

My mate has been running 1,5 bar with no problems in his X-flow G60. Lots of trackday abuse...

With a 16v head you are going to see a CR of about 6,5:1 and can probably run around 2 bar boost...Wouldn't recomend a 16v head on a G60 block though, better to use a ABA/2E