Max std camber on a Mk2 narrow track & how to increase

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by A.N. Other, Nov 4, 2011.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

My Mk2 16v needs some more front camber. Not fo sho, but fo handling!

I was amazed to be only able to get about 1.5 degrees on it earlier in the year. My Passat will do 3 degrees max as std and, back on its standard suspension now, will out-corner (on turn in) the Mk2 , which is clearly disgraceful !!

So the question is do I buy narrower camber bolts (and scene tax they come with) or start filing out the holes in the hub or filing out the strut ears? There's not much meat on the Mk2 strut ears mind.

What do you recommend?

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Eibach camber bolts? They would do the job. Or just some slimmer high tensile bolts and washers.

I'd say grind! It's only the mk2 after all.

Gurds

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

vw will sell you camber correction bolts N 101 740 02, 2+VAT. use 1 or 2 per side depending on how much more camber you want. AVS sell too:
    http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=899

i could get way more camber than that with my sachs shocks though, comes down to the design of the shocks as toy how much adjustment you get. you could always file out the holes a bit more slotted that way you get some more camber adjustment

4. danster Forum Addict

Make sure you have the lower balljoints as far out as they will go by slackening the 3 balljoint to wishbone mounting bolts and pulling hub out as far as it will go before re-tightening. May get you a little more.

Plus some struts do not have slots for the 2 strut to hub mounting bolts. I believe later production standards reduced the requirement to have so much adjustment to meet the oem settings.

5. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Another vote for Eibach camber bolts

get your wallet out, 20 delivered from Venom

6. rubjonny

whats so special about the eibach bolts to make em worth that much? are they like MK1 bolts with eccentric head?

7. mk2sp Forum Member

Chris,
    after years of testing on Mk2 chassis i ended up on the followings:

Option 1: Buy camber adjustable bolts to gain some more static camber. Fair amount of turning improvement.

Option 2: Buy or Built adjustable front top mounts to set up dynamic camber which will offer dramatic improvement on alteration of suspension geometry characteristics. Option 2 gives best results if front roll center adjusters implemented.

Option 3: Buy Mk3 Golf GTi 16V/VR6 front hubs that have 4.5degrees of caster angle (instead of 1.5degrees that OEM Mk2 Golf Gti 8V/16V offer).
    Advantage: Even with 1.5degrees of static camber, car turns sharper as caster tranforms into camber while turning
    Disadvantage: Expensive option due to need of 5-stud wheels.

p.s.1. I would choose option 2.

p.s.2. As Mk2 Golfs generate a lot of bump steer while turning, it should be necessary to set the front axle with a fair amount of toe-out (especially if you will not go on a stiff suspension)

Hope i helped ;).

8. rubjonny

ok, they are nicer to work with than mk2 as you can adjust camber by spinning the bolt head, then you can lock in place. unlike the thinner bolts/slods which are much more of a pain in the ass as you have to hold the hub/shock then nip the bolt. just depends if you think the easiness is worth 19 extra :thumbup:

9. JWYATT Forum Member

When I increased my front camber to Max'd amount I found in the wet it understeered alot more !

10. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Use the standard bolts and grind out the holes. Is a bit YEEEE-HAA but works fine :thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

From the VW dealer, OEM left, N 101 740 02 right :thumbup:

[​IMG]

OE:

[​IMG]

Slim bolt:

[​IMG]

Set me back 2.81 for a pair, which I don't think is discounted.

Estimated camber increase from fitment of one bolt per side was measured at + 1 degree on one side and 0.5 degrees on the other. Some measuring error there clearly, but gives some idea of what they'll give.

To be fair, for the money, not worth filing hubs out for hours :thumbup:

I do like the cammed Eibach bolts posted above mind, but just not needed for this particular uber-budget tuning application :)

12. rubjonny

if you need any more camber you can buy 2 more :thumbup: